Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Success! Made my own drain cleaner/ clog remover and it worked awesome!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

so since we moved into our new apartment last month our tub has sucked at draining. Today it stopped all together. I didn't have money for drano so I did some looking online and found a super easy super cheap fix!

Baking soda, with vinegar. Pour the soda down the drain, add the vinegar cover quickly (with drain plug or a bowl) and sit for 10-15 minutes. Then pour boiling water down the drain.

Fixed it instantly!!! I can see tons of clear pvc pipe when I sign a flashlight and couldn't before and it drains all loud and super fast like bran new!

I'm so proud of myself. DH said it would never work and that I'd blow the house up lol

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Our son has Autism, SPD, and PFAPA/HIDs  Join us in the  New Hampshire Moms group!

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM
That's awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:11 AM
Cool beans ! That's great to know !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM

eh, the site i found gave measurements...... I just filled the drain with baking soda and added vinegar until it started bubbling up and out lol. I can try to find the measurements though if you like :P

Quoting mamadee1971:

I have both ingredients,so I need to try that in my kitchen sink, before I call a plumber.  Thanks for the info.  But, do you have to measure out the baking soda and vinegar or just go for it?

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Horray!

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I did that tonight too!!!! It works awesome!!!

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Yeah the boiling water was the finisher and what pushed it the rest of the way i think. I am gonna do that often now too!

Quoting Juniper53098:

Thanks for sharing!  I haven't had to clear a clog, yet, but now I know what to use.  To maintain your drains, especially in the bathroom, pour a pot of boiling water down the drain once a week.

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I used boiling water and it took a huge lobster pot full to push it through! :P

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I use 1 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar cover it really quick I put a plate then the jug of vinegar ontop for 30 minutes then have hot water run for a few minutes. Stubborn clogs may take a couple times

thehickinhickor
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:43 AM
I use that once a month it rocks !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:11 AM

great

Noni2319
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Wow !! good for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)