Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Success! Made my own drain cleaner/ clog remover and it worked awesome!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

so since we moved into our new apartment last month our tub has sucked at draining. Today it stopped all together. I didn't have money for drano so I did some looking online and found a super easy super cheap fix!

Baking soda, with vinegar. Pour the soda down the drain, add the vinegar cover quickly (with drain plug or a bowl) and sit for 10-15 minutes. Then pour boiling water down the drain.

Fixed it instantly!!! I can see tons of clear pvc pipe when I sign a flashlight and couldn't before and it drains all loud and super fast like bran new!

I'm so proud of myself. DH said it would never work and that I'd blow the house up lol

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Our son has Autism, SPD, and PFAPA/HIDs  Join us in the  New Hampshire Moms group!

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Replies (31-40):
Eviesmommy
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Looks like I'll be trying this later. My bathtub drain has been so slow with draining that you end up practically in a bath by the time you're done showering. Drano hasn't worked, and my landlord is so busy that unless it's a huge emergency (like our water heater dying), he's not likely to get back to us right away.

Thanks for sharing!

bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

That is very interesting.  I will have to try that on my bathroom sink.

jhslove
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

This is awesome to know! We spend so much money on Dran-o because I have a lot of hair and it's constantly clogging the shower drain. Thanks!

shadenn766
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

i'm gonna try it...may use it as a preventative to keep the drains open

nikkik526
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM
How much of each do you use?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM
That's wonderful!
fraujones
by Amanda on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Very cool!

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Thanks, I'm just going to go for it.

Quoting lasombrs:

eh, the site i found gave measurements...... I just filled the drain with baking soda and added vinegar until it started bubbling up and out lol. I can try to find the measurements though if you like :P

Quoting mamadee1971:

I have both ingredients,so I need to try that in my kitchen sink, before I call a plumber.  Thanks for the info.  But, do you have to measure out the baking soda and vinegar or just go for it?

malexander2009
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM

totally need to try it

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM

thats what ours was like when we moved in. then dh gave the dog a bath yesterday morning and it was done for! lol. The boiling water was the big trick at the end. I was pouring it slow at first and ws like man maybe I need to do it twice. So I dumped the whole huge pot of water in all at once and went to walk away to try again in a bit and then all of a sudden it worked and everything goes down super fast now!

I think I filled it twice just to watch it go down lol

Quoting Eviesmommy:

Looks like I'll be trying this later. My bathtub drain has been so slow with draining that you end up practically in a bath by the time you're done showering. Drano hasn't worked, and my landlord is so busy that unless it's a huge emergency (like our water heater dying), he's not likely to get back to us right away.

Thanks for sharing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)