Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Storm Safety

Posted by   + Show Post

Summer is winding down, but we're likely to have a least a few major thunderstorms before snow flies. If you have ever been caught outdoors during a big storm, especially with your kids, you know it's pretty terrifying. It's important to know how to stay safe during a storm, even indoors, so you can enjoy nature's light show safely!

If you're inside, stay off the land line (lightning can hit a telephone pole and the current will make it into your phone, causing a shock). Also, don't take a shower or bath; believe it or not, because if lightning strikes your house it could send a current through your house via the metal plumbing. Also, stay away from windows, and if you are getting a lot of lightning you might want to disconnect computers and appliances, so they won't be fried by a power surge.

If you're in your car, pull to the side of the road (under an overpass if it's safe) and avoid touching metal objects (although you'll want to keep the kids buckled in). Make sure you're not in the path of trees or power lines that could fall on your car.

If you're outside, avoid tall things like trees, flagpoles and power lines. Stay away from bodies of water. Try to take shelter in a building; if that's not possible, spread out if you are in a group. If you start to feel your hair stand up, that means lightning is about to strike! Crouch down on your knees, bend forward and keep your hands on your knees....the idea is to make yourself as small as possible.

Do you have any scary storm stories?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-39):
koolkidsmom
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I survived Hurricane Andrew in l992 in Miami and it was horrendous.  Tornadoes touched down and blew tractor trailer trucks into houses, Huge AC units off roofs, blew off garage and front doors leaving people huddled in bathrooms praying for help.  Roofs went and they covered themselves with mattresses.  we were huddled in the hall just north of the worst winds listening to the people calling in on the radio telling of their houses being blown apart.  we still have nighmares of the hellish storm.

koolkidsmom
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

After the storm it was ssooo hot and no electricity or ice to keep our food.  Grocery stores were empty except for a few canned goods.  We had to sleep with out patio doors open just hoping some punks wouldn't come in and murder us.  Blackhawk helicopters were coming in to land at a nearby airport and I was so depressed I wanted to die and get it over with.  That's my worst storm ever.  None of us will ever be the same, especially the children that lived thru that.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM

No stories here..I love to watch the storms tho..

amy7243
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM

My dad was hit by lightening right in front of me....it threw him 20 feet. I thought he was dead but he survived.

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Nope

texasdraw
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Seen hundreds of tornados, see n the damage. Not scared but do respect the,m. Took some 20 , 30 to 40  feet high elms and twistedthe tops  together like taffy. Threw 6 and 12 inch limbs likethey were  toothpicks.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Sep. 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM

We had a tornado not this past May but the one before that.  Had to wake up the kids and get in our "safe area".  It was super scary!

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM

We've had such an uneventful season of thunderstorms. I don't want tornadoes, but I love a good thunderstorm.

I remember going to a grocery store to get some last minute items for our bbq....this was probably 2 or 3 summers ago. We went in with it being partly cloudy. We came out with it being very cloudy, starting putting groceries in car, in came drops of rain and insane wind. Kids went in the car fast...I got drenched in a matter of seconds. I remember running to put my cart in the corral and the wind sucked it in without any effort from me. LOL I could barely see when driving but still wanted Starbucks and got some. LMAO!

sweetmissy_05
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM

No scary storm stories for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)