Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Storm Safety

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

Summer is winding down, but we're likely to have a least a few major thunderstorms before snow flies. If you have ever been caught outdoors during a big storm, especially with your kids, you know it's pretty terrifying. It's important to know how to stay safe during a storm, even indoors, so you can enjoy nature's light show safely!

If you're inside, stay off the land line (lightning can hit a telephone pole and the current will make it into your phone, causing a shock). Also, don't take a shower or bath; believe it or not, because if lightning strikes your house it could send a current through your house via the metal plumbing. Also, stay away from windows, and if you are getting a lot of lightning you might want to disconnect computers and appliances, so they won't be fried by a power surge.

If you're in your car, pull to the side of the road (under an overpass if it's safe) and avoid touching metal objects (although you'll want to keep the kids buckled in). Make sure you're not in the path of trees or power lines that could fall on your car.

If you're outside, avoid tall things like trees, flagpoles and power lines. Stay away from bodies of water. Try to take shelter in a building; if that's not possible, spread out if you are in a group. If you start to feel your hair stand up, that means lightning is about to strike! Crouch down on your knees, bend forward and keep your hands on your knees....the idea is to make yourself as small as possible.

Do you have any scary storm stories?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamivon2
by Sandra on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:40 AM

no scary storm stories here..

BeverlySimmons
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:41 AM
bump

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:53 AM

thunderstorms aren't scary... maybe I've lived in the South too long... but they're not.

You (in general) should have electronics plugged into a power strip, not directly into the outlet. You can turn it off in a storm, but it will keep your stuff from getting zapped.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM

great plan! no scary storm stories here. we have an emergency kit in the car, need to get one together for the house

wandep
by Pam on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I remember a long time ago we were in a hurricane and the wind blew my dad's metal shed building away.

We're preparing for hurricane isaac's visit this weekend. It is suppose to hit us on Tuesday and Wednesday. Supppose to get a  lot of wind, rain, and flooding here.

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:40 AM

my friends and I were swimming in the ocean during a storm, we figured we were already wet why not. Then we saw lightening strike the water far away from us and freaked and ran up the beach and then lightening struck the water really close to where we were. I am terrified of thunder and lightening now :(

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:33 AM

The worst we have been in is a hail storm this past spring .. we were in the van and and it lasted for a good 20 mins .. the kids and i were all worried that the hail would bust the glass .. thankfully it didnt . I do not want to go through it ever again !

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Thanks
fraujones
by Amanda on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I "survived" the Ice Storm in 1998. I was in college...on break but still in the area. I didn't feel in danger, but I had to stay in a shelter with my best friend. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM

only how loud it can get and branches falling....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)