Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Storm Safety

Posted by   + Show Post

Summer is winding down, but we're likely to have a least a few major thunderstorms before snow flies. If you have ever been caught outdoors during a big storm, especially with your kids, you know it's pretty terrifying. It's important to know how to stay safe during a storm, even indoors, so you can enjoy nature's light show safely!

If you're inside, stay off the land line (lightning can hit a telephone pole and the current will make it into your phone, causing a shock). Also, don't take a shower or bath; believe it or not, because if lightning strikes your house it could send a current through your house via the metal plumbing. Also, stay away from windows, and if you are getting a lot of lightning you might want to disconnect computers and appliances, so they won't be fried by a power surge.

If you're in your car, pull to the side of the road (under an overpass if it's safe) and avoid touching metal objects (although you'll want to keep the kids buckled in). Make sure you're not in the path of trees or power lines that could fall on your car.

If you're outside, avoid tall things like trees, flagpoles and power lines. Stay away from bodies of water. Try to take shelter in a building; if that's not possible, spread out if you are in a group. If you start to feel your hair stand up, that means lightning is about to strike! Crouch down on your knees, bend forward and keep your hands on your knees....the idea is to make yourself as small as possible.

Do you have any scary storm stories?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
keeckhardt
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM
I live in "tornado alley" not much scares me. We have emergency kits in our storm shelter and cars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AstuteMama
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM

No I don't we don't get too many thunderstorms in Southwest Washington area.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM

All my scary storm stories are about being stuck in the woods on hiking and canoeing trips... Forget staying off the phone, just sit on your sleeping mat and wait it out! :)

alliesmom112
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM

My freshman year in college we had tornados hit the university and knocked out a few of the dorms.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

We had a bad hurricane about 6 or so years ago.We had a tree fall on our neighbors roof and one of the other neighbors had their roof collapse.They were ok.Lots of trees down and no power for a week.Waiting to see what Issac is going to do and if it will hit us

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM
No scary storm stories here, luckily! Good advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Not really anything scary...  We live in an area that gets tornadoes, so occasionally we'll hear the sirens and move downstairs.  But, thank God, nothing bad has ever happened to our home or our family.  *Knocks on wood*

powow65
by kimmy on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:18 PM
I was away when 'labor day storm' hit NY state. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by Greta on Aug. 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM
We get some pretty good t-storms here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by Christa on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM
i refuse to shower during a storm! a week or 2 ago it was storming really bad and i swear lightning hit right outside the house, dont know where but we heard hissing right after it hit. :/ talk about scary. i screamed when it hit lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN