Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Awesome Chore Apps

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies
5 moms liked this

As Fall and school approach, our kids are going to have a lot on their plate - including chores. How to get kids to remember to take out the trash and help around the house is the question this week!

Happygiddyup says: Summer has totally crapped out our schedule...not the sleep one, but the chores. Who pitches in, fights over who wants to vacuum or clean the bathroom, the non-fighting because no one remembers that these things need to be done. I'm in need of some way to arrange the housework so I'm not spending hours prodding them to do their chores. Any ideas??

Kiddo loves to help around the house - yes, she's an odd bird, I know. But, I wonder when I actually start to use the word "chores" and she's doing them every week, how much will she really want to? One thing I am going to count on is her love of the iPad...and an app that may make it fun for her to do the not-so-fun things. Maybe these will help your brood - and remember on all of them, you can include everyday non-chore things like putting clothes in the hamper and studying for the spelling quiz. A great way to introduce listmaking and organization.

Wunderlist - Basically, this app is a cool way to tackle to-do lists, from weekly reminders of chores to daily things like feeding Finners the fish and doing their homework, everyone in the family can have a customized way to see what they need to do.

Chore Pad - This app has won almost every award there is...for good reason. It makes dusting that bookcase fun. You create lists of what kids need to do. Once they do it, they check it off and earn their way to a reward...which is set by you. Rewards can be anything - from picking the movie on Friday night to an extra 15 minutes on the iPad to play Angry Birds.  The great thing is they can see what chores you have to do too, and what reward you are working toward (hot bath, anyone?).

You Rule - This one is similar to Chore Pad, but gets the kids to compete against each other. They can still earn rewards (again, can be anything you input) but you see how everyone is doing and who is winning...even Dad can win if he gets his chores done the fastest!

How do you get your kids to do their chores?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/jacelynwr           

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM

We just tell the boys to their chores.  We do not have a chart or anything like that.  I do think the Chore Pad app might be a good way to motive my oldest though.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM
We struggle with chores :( .. So I'm deft gonna check these out !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM

i really need to give her some chores

thehickinhickor
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 3:22 AM
Cool she just dose them.without asking all but her toys she won't pick them up without my help lol but the others ones she dose without asking
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Aug. 27, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Ds does his chores right after school

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 27, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Thanks for sharing.

We just remind myself son that chores are part of being a family, and he needs to do his share just as I do mine and Dad does his.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I just tell them to do it.  I give lots of warning that it needs to be done at some point in the day.  We don't have an ipad, so won't be able to use the aps.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM

cool but i dont have a smart phone...i'll print something out!

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Just tell them

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Though I do like the you rule one that you can keep up with earnngin computer time and such

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)