Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Awesome Chore Apps

Posted by   + Show Post

As Fall and school approach, our kids are going to have a lot on their plate - including chores. How to get kids to remember to take out the trash and help around the house is the question this week!

Happygiddyup says: Summer has totally crapped out our schedule...not the sleep one, but the chores. Who pitches in, fights over who wants to vacuum or clean the bathroom, the non-fighting because no one remembers that these things need to be done. I'm in need of some way to arrange the housework so I'm not spending hours prodding them to do their chores. Any ideas??

Kiddo loves to help around the house - yes, she's an odd bird, I know. But, I wonder when I actually start to use the word "chores" and she's doing them every week, how much will she really want to? One thing I am going to count on is her love of the iPad...and an app that may make it fun for her to do the not-so-fun things. Maybe these will help your brood - and remember on all of them, you can include everyday non-chore things like putting clothes in the hamper and studying for the spelling quiz. A great way to introduce listmaking and organization.

Wunderlist - Basically, this app is a cool way to tackle to-do lists, from weekly reminders of chores to daily things like feeding Finners the fish and doing their homework, everyone in the family can have a customized way to see what they need to do.

Chore Pad - This app has won almost every award there is...for good reason. It makes dusting that bookcase fun. You create lists of what kids need to do. Once they do it, they check it off and earn their way to a reward...which is set by you. Rewards can be anything - from picking the movie on Friday night to an extra 15 minutes on the iPad to play Angry Birds.  The great thing is they can see what chores you have to do too, and what reward you are working toward (hot bath, anyone?).

You Rule - This one is similar to Chore Pad, but gets the kids to compete against each other. They can still earn rewards (again, can be anything you input) but you see how everyone is doing and who is winning...even Dad can win if he gets his chores done the fastest!

How do you get your kids to do their chores?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/jacelynwr           

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-48):
malexander2009
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I do all the house work right now my oldest is only 2 and we don't have anything that runs apps.

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Thanks I need this.

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

They know, but we also remind them too.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

we don't use apps, but we use a website called highscorehouse.com

daerca574
by Danya on Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I use the app Reward My Chore on my DROID. It works wonderfully!
ProudMomof5Boys
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 7:55 AM
They hv they same chores everyday n eventually they picked up the routine and do it around the same time during week n weekends...its either do it r u get a deduction off ur allowance :) ...basically repetition
madisynsmom0705
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM
I'm going to try this...keep your fingers crossed that it works :)
keeckhardt
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM
DS just does his chores for commission. I like the idea of an app. He likes his iPod.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)