Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Celebrating the First Day of School

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies
2 moms liked this

Remember the old commercial that showed parents partying down once the bus left with their kids on the first day of school, accompanied by a rendition of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of The Year"?

I thought it was funny back then, and now, as a parent, I can SO relate. We're down to the one week countdown and I think we're all ready for the kids to be back in school. Even if you're a parent who adores everything about summer break, it's nice to work a little celebration ritual into the day to mark the transition, wish your littles well on a new school year, and maybe cheer yourself up a little too (as much as summer makes me nuts, I do get a little teary sending my kids off every year because they're just growing up so fast and each new year reminds me HOW fast).

I found this roundup of some families' annual back to school traditions at Happy Home Fairy. One mom makes pancakes decorated with the number of the grade their child will be in, and the kid can eat that many pancakes (one for first grade, two for second, etc.). Another has the School Fairy leave a giant "lunch bag" (a brown paper grocery bag) on the front porch the night before school starts, filled with school supplies and candy.

And for the parents, a friend of mine is having a coffee and mimosas party to get to know the other parents in her son's class on the first morning of the school year, since she lives right across the street from the school.

Do you have any traditions for the beginning of a new school year?

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

First day of school for my daughter, I take her picture, wait for her bus to come. Then hop in the car with my son and we go to her school gym, listen to the principal and then take another picture, go home.

With my son, he's in pre-k, so I take a photo of him outside, then at pre-k, in his class, then off I go.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

German tradition is that each child gets a cone ( like a gigantic dunce cap upside down and pretty looking ) full of school gifts....new supplies, little snacks, maybe a new outfit (if you can fit it in there ) , and just about anything you could think of that they would love! :)

Its great !

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Oh wow! I like those traditions! We don't really have one. It's been so hectic here too, that we didn't get to take them out to eat like I wanted to. I take their picture every year though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

We don't have any traditions other than a first photo.

mereinhart28
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Taking pictures and a special snack :)

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM

We don't have any tradtitions.  I can't even take him to school on his 1st day, this year.  =(

Jules_
by Julie on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Taking pictures and a special lunch packed for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Just taking pics! But back when my DD started K&my youngest was about a year old! We came in the house turn music up&dance! I caught it all on vid! Including her going on the bus&into her classroom!

KimmyShaw
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD will just be starting kindergarten but for preschool I made chocolate chip pancakes and of course took pictures. I plan to do it again this year, she enjoyed it.

So far this year though we have done the hair cut, teeth cleaning and pedi/mani. I think I will do that each year as well in prep for it. :D

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

not really any traditions here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)