Group Home

Smarter Mom: Celebrating the First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember the old commercial that showed parents partying down once the bus left with their kids on the first day of school, accompanied by a rendition of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of The Year"?

I thought it was funny back then, and now, as a parent, I can SO relate. We're down to the one week countdown and I think we're all ready for the kids to be back in school. Even if you're a parent who adores everything about summer break, it's nice to work a little celebration ritual into the day to mark the transition, wish your littles well on a new school year, and maybe cheer yourself up a little too (as much as summer makes me nuts, I do get a little teary sending my kids off every year because they're just growing up so fast and each new year reminds me HOW fast).

I found this roundup of some families' annual back to school traditions at Happy Home Fairy. One mom makes pancakes decorated with the number of the grade their child will be in, and the kid can eat that many pancakes (one for first grade, two for second, etc.). Another has the School Fairy leave a giant "lunch bag" (a brown paper grocery bag) on the front porch the night before school starts, filled with school supplies and candy.

And for the parents, a friend of mine is having a coffee and mimosas party to get to know the other parents in her son's class on the first morning of the school year, since she lives right across the street from the school.

Do you have any traditions for the beginning of a new school year?

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-52):
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM

No, but they sound fun!

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

No traditions....just a matter of getting back to that schedule after the lazy days of summer...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80