Group Home

Smarter Mom: Celebrating the First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember the old commercial that showed parents partying down once the bus left with their kids on the first day of school, accompanied by a rendition of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of The Year"?

I thought it was funny back then, and now, as a parent, I can SO relate. We're down to the one week countdown and I think we're all ready for the kids to be back in school. Even if you're a parent who adores everything about summer break, it's nice to work a little celebration ritual into the day to mark the transition, wish your littles well on a new school year, and maybe cheer yourself up a little too (as much as summer makes me nuts, I do get a little teary sending my kids off every year because they're just growing up so fast and each new year reminds me HOW fast).

I found this roundup of some families' annual back to school traditions at Happy Home Fairy. One mom makes pancakes decorated with the number of the grade their child will be in, and the kid can eat that many pancakes (one for first grade, two for second, etc.). Another has the School Fairy leave a giant "lunch bag" (a brown paper grocery bag) on the front porch the night before school starts, filled with school supplies and candy.

And for the parents, a friend of mine is having a coffee and mimosas party to get to know the other parents in her son's class on the first morning of the school year, since she lives right across the street from the school.

Do you have any traditions for the beginning of a new school year?

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM

This is my first year of being a school mom. For our traditions, we take pictures and make a big breakfast.

malexander2009
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Not yet DS is only 2

itsblissmas
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

My kids just started school so no traditions yet. But if I'm ever excited that my kids are off to school I hope it's because they are learning and love being there not because I'm happy to get rid of them!

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

We don't really have any traditions. Just pictures and breakfast.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

We don't really have any traditions at home, but I did make my kids some celebratory brownies for the first day.

My son's school has a tradition they call New Year's Eve.  It's an all-school (student, staff & parent) potluck to meet the teachers and other kids and just welcome everyone back to school.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM
The only thing we've done so far is pictures... But my son is only in preschool, it's not too late to start! I want to do a special breakfast this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmeredith
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM

DD started K on her birthday this year so we had bday breakfast, and when she got home the whole house had been decorated. Then her special bday supper. In preschool we just did  pictures with her and the teacher

noTimetothink
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

i make a smiley face breakfast

pancake for the head, scrambled egg for hair, half a banana for nose sticking upright, apple or melon slice for mouth, strawberries for eyes, bfast sausage for ears. my mom did it for me, so when my son started school i did it too. and this year i will be able to do it for my 2 girls going to preschool. i will post pic's Thursday

Katrina316
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM
I hate when the kids go back to school because I get depressed being by myself all day. I rather them stay with me all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unique1119
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM

My 3 y/o is in preschool and I've just did the first day of school pics.

But I am toying with a few ideas. I read one mom blogger who takes pics of her kids new shoes every year on the first day of school. And I like the pin on Pinterest that shows the kid with holding up (or next to) a sign that has what he wants to be when he grows up (doctor, fireman, etc). I also just saw another pin with a shirt that is large and has the year they graduate on it that they grow into. These ideas are pretty cute. Trying to decide. :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. amyjane22
  2. ceciliam
  3. childofgod04
  4. suziejax
  5. mrswillie
  6. SweetLuci