Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Celebrating the First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember the old commercial that showed parents partying down once the bus left with their kids on the first day of school, accompanied by a rendition of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of The Year"?

I thought it was funny back then, and now, as a parent, I can SO relate. We're down to the one week countdown and I think we're all ready for the kids to be back in school. Even if you're a parent who adores everything about summer break, it's nice to work a little celebration ritual into the day to mark the transition, wish your littles well on a new school year, and maybe cheer yourself up a little too (as much as summer makes me nuts, I do get a little teary sending my kids off every year because they're just growing up so fast and each new year reminds me HOW fast).

I found this roundup of some families' annual back to school traditions at Happy Home Fairy. One mom makes pancakes decorated with the number of the grade their child will be in, and the kid can eat that many pancakes (one for first grade, two for second, etc.). Another has the School Fairy leave a giant "lunch bag" (a brown paper grocery bag) on the front porch the night before school starts, filled with school supplies and candy.

And for the parents, a friend of mine is having a coffee and mimosas party to get to know the other parents in her son's class on the first morning of the school year, since she lives right across the street from the school.

Do you have any traditions for the beginning of a new school year?

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
wandep
by Pam on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM

We take pictures. :)

powow65
by kimmy on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Wow! Great info!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:08 PM

i take a pic of the kids.  growing up a neighbor took a picture of her son & i on the first day of every school year.  after we graduated she showed us all the pics & it was fun to see how we both grew.

Twinkle08
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM
I decorate my daugher's bedroom door for all holidays. She loves it and it makes us all smile to see it. Can't wait to do it on Monday night. I am a teacher, so I can never be there to see her off. Her dad takes her to school and sends me pictuers. He makes it special and I love him for that! He tries his best to make every school event during the day and we both do the night stuff. I would rather be a sahm but sadly I can't. Days like the first ay make me feel like a rotten mom.
peng1965chung
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM
wow!

JocelynsMama1
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM

My mother in law is german and gave one of these to my neice this year...I can't wait till my dd gets hers next year

Quoting Wish2Be:

German tradition is that each child gets a cone ( like a gigantic dunce cap upside down and pretty looking ) full of school gifts....new supplies, little snacks, maybe a new outfit (if you can fit it in there ) , and just about anything you could think of that they would love! :)

Its great !

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

Victoria107
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM
My son gets to pick out a special shirt from our vacation right before school starts & wear it on the first day. First day pictures & a special dinner night of. :0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandie2011
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM
The weekend before school my girls and i have a junk food night which consists of staying up all night watching movies and eating junk... Love those days. And then of course first day of school pictures..
Poly_Parent
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

The night before everyone packs their favorite lunch and picks out a special outfit. Then the morning of, we have a special breakfast and take our first day pictures at the bus stop; one of each child individually, one of all the kids, one of just the big kids, and one of just the littles. The bus for the big kids comes, and we all wave goodbye. Then DW and I have to go to work, so we say goodbye to the littles, wish them good luck, and leave. DH sees them off to the bus and then he heads to work also.

CalicoMeezer
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM
You're not a rotten mom, you're a creative, loving mom…with enough heart for lots of kids! Don't be hard on yourself Mama!

Quoting Twinkle08:

I decorate my daugher's bedroom door for all holidays. She loves it and it makes us all smile to see it. Can't wait to do it on Monday night. I am a teacher, so I can never be there to see her off. Her dad takes her to school and sends me pictuers. He makes it special and I love him for that! He tries his best to make every school event during the day and we both do the night stuff. I would rather be a sahm but sadly I can't. Days like the first ay make me feel like a rotten mom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)