Group Home

Smarter Mom: Celebrating the First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember the old commercial that showed parents partying down once the bus left with their kids on the first day of school, accompanied by a rendition of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of The Year"?

I thought it was funny back then, and now, as a parent, I can SO relate. We're down to the one week countdown and I think we're all ready for the kids to be back in school. Even if you're a parent who adores everything about summer break, it's nice to work a little celebration ritual into the day to mark the transition, wish your littles well on a new school year, and maybe cheer yourself up a little too (as much as summer makes me nuts, I do get a little teary sending my kids off every year because they're just growing up so fast and each new year reminds me HOW fast).

I found this roundup of some families' annual back to school traditions at Happy Home Fairy. One mom makes pancakes decorated with the number of the grade their child will be in, and the kid can eat that many pancakes (one for first grade, two for second, etc.). Another has the School Fairy leave a giant "lunch bag" (a brown paper grocery bag) on the front porch the night before school starts, filled with school supplies and candy.

And for the parents, a friend of mine is having a coffee and mimosas party to get to know the other parents in her son's class on the first morning of the school year, since she lives right across the street from the school.

Do you have any traditions for the beginning of a new school year?

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
CrystalWolf
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM
My daughters school does a pancake breakfast the Friday before school starts so they can meet their teacher, see where their desk is etc. I have loved it each year as it prepares them in a positive way. We are headed there tomorrow. Then off to purchase her indoor shoes and 1 new special school outfit. The first day of school I take a picture of her before she gets on the bus and then I cry on my way home because she's getting so big. :). That's our tradition, and it will probably be the same when our youngest gets old enough for school too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennPearce
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:49 PM
I'm a new school mom this year so I'm super excited to use some of these ideas! Definitely plan on pictures & a special breakfast :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 7:52 AM
We don't have traditions, as she just started. We have been doing either a quote or word of the day on her chalkboard each morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ItWorksMama
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:12 AM

The night before the first day we do a "Back To School" card and little gift. In the card we put how proud we are of them and a little paragraph about the grade they are going into and that we wish them the best. Usually we give them something that they have been wanting that will be used for school. Since our house is all little girls it is usually headbands, earrings, bath and body works hand sanitizer keychains for their backpacks, hairties, etc.. I like to get them all the little things they ask for when we do back to school clothes shopping that isn't clothes that they of coarse are asking to have. Gives me good ideas :)

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Same for us.

Quoting funhappymom:

We don't have any traditions other than a first photo.

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:23 AM
I love this! I'm going to share this idea with my husband!

Quoting Wish2Be:

German tradition is that each child gets a cone ( like a gigantic dunce cap upside down and pretty looking ) full of school gifts....new supplies, little snacks, maybe a new outfit (if you can fit it in there ) , and just about anything you could think of that they would love! :)

Its great !

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:03 AM
I make them their favorite cookies for when they get home. Then we have cookies and milk and talk about their day. I take pics before and after school the first day. I also have them color a picture for their teachers.
FearTheRedQueen
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM
For us it starts the night before, the kids help me pack they're lunches (this is a all the time thing) pick and lay out first day clothes, we take a picture before they go to bed because the next day they will be "bigger" kids. First day is a big deal we all get up early And go out to a big breakfast, great-nana, Nana, uncle Kevin, aunt Keri, and great-aunt Ellie all come with us we take lots of pictures :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissmom734
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I saw this one on Pinterest. . . a twist on the first day of school picture. The kid stood by a chalkboard with the grade and what they wanted to be when they grew up (First day of Kindergarten September 5, 2012,  When I grow up I want to be a paleontologist) 

Mrs.Aguilar.420
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM
We take kids out for ice cream and talk about their day. What we expect of them etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci