Smarter Mom: Celebrating the First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember the old commercial that showed parents partying down once the bus left with their kids on the first day of school, accompanied by a rendition of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of The Year"?

I thought it was funny back then, and now, as a parent, I can SO relate. We're down to the one week countdown and I think we're all ready for the kids to be back in school. Even if you're a parent who adores everything about summer break, it's nice to work a little celebration ritual into the day to mark the transition, wish your littles well on a new school year, and maybe cheer yourself up a little too (as much as summer makes me nuts, I do get a little teary sending my kids off every year because they're just growing up so fast and each new year reminds me HOW fast).

I found this roundup of some families' annual back to school traditions at Happy Home Fairy. One mom makes pancakes decorated with the number of the grade their child will be in, and the kid can eat that many pancakes (one for first grade, two for second, etc.). Another has the School Fairy leave a giant "lunch bag" (a brown paper grocery bag) on the front porch the night before school starts, filled with school supplies and candy.

And for the parents, a friend of mine is having a coffee and mimosas party to get to know the other parents in her son's class on the first morning of the school year, since she lives right across the street from the school.

Do you have any traditions for the beginning of a new school year?

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
kstchr
by Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Very cool traditions listed here! We always take their pics with their backpacks on the first day of school, and of course they pick out a special outfit for the first day!  My DH always takes the day off, and since we usually start with just a 1/2 day, we do something fun in the afternoon.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Just taking pix
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Picture taking. This year I'm a little less than thrilled tho...

lasombrs
by Sara on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM

This is only our first year so I have no traditions yet :)

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM

cleaning out the closets. lol

othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

They get a new outfit for school. Nothing else really that we do special

othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Quoting mrswillie:

cleaning out the closets. lol

We do that too

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

this year was the first year of school for dd so we are starting all of our traditions this year. 

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM

My DD just started kindergarten a week ago today. She went to preschool last year, but we don't have any traditions besides taking tons of pictures.

slw123
by Shawna on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM

My tradition is to go out for breakfast with friends to celebrate the first day of school =0

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: