Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what age and how did you teach your child to call 911?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM
  • 14 Replies

with how sick i have been lately and with my history of seizures and blacking out i am worried something may happen when it's just my little one and i. so i am thinking of teacher her about 911 i have been working on teacher her our address she as almost got that down but not really sure how to go about the 911 thing she is 4 by the way 5 in jan she as a hard time talking when she is upset she talks to fast but she knows how to caller her daddy on the phone so i think she can handled 911 but then i am not really sure ! 

by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
black.eyeliner
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:36 PM

They were around 3 when they learned.  

daerca574
by Danya on Aug. 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM
The sooner the better. Practice on an old phone that isn't hooked up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM
I agree that you can start teaching her right now. Practicing on an old phone is a good idea. You should also work with her on understanding when it's actually an emergency and necessary to call.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I worked with them as soon as they knew how to dial on the phone (usually around three).

lish2127
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I wouldn't worry about her not talking well. As long as you can teach her to make the call, they will send help.

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM

my oldest is 3 but i think it will be a long time before we teach him. He cant even say his own name yet. And I think he may do it to be funny if we showed him. But he also has some learning delays. We may teach our dd before we show him

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:13 PM
That is not accurate, espicially if op has a cell phone.

My boys have speech delays, at 3 we taught them to call daddy, mamaw, papaw,. Over and over if no one answered. Its what our local 911 center sugested to me

Quoting lish2127:

I wouldn't worry about her not talking well. As long as you can teach her to make the call, they will send help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM
They were 3 when they learned about 911, my cell phone number, their father's number, their address and everyone full names. They also learned about inappropriate touching at that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by Christa on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM
yikes never thought about it :/ i probably need to teach my oldest, just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cajun_lady_swla
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:33 PM
From age 3 to 5.... He still gets frequent drills and reminders. You can never go wrong with reinforcement ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)