Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh, just great... **Update**

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM
  • 48 Replies

DS (3.5) is sick.  He was coughing all morning.  Then I noticed around lunch that his cough just seemed.. concerning.  It turns out he doesn't have an actual cough, this cough was a warning sign of an asthma attack. I gave him a breathing treatment at 2:15, just before he took a nap.  He woke up at 4:45 with a 100.2 fever, crying, and full-on wheezing.  I did another breathing treatment, which he finished at 5:30.  Now I am waiting to see how he does in an hour.  If he is already starting to get tight and wheezy again, I'll have to take him to the ER.  If he can last the 4 hours until his next treatment, then we should be OK.

Of course this has to happen when DH is on his way to MN to visit with his grandparents.  My in-laws are up there, too, along with both of my SILs, my BIL and his wife.  My parents left today for a vacation, too.  So my options for getting help with my other 2, in the event that I need to take DS to the ER, are limited.  Ugh.  I swear, these situations always tend to happen when I am completely on my own!

The kids are eating dinner now.  Then I will see how his breathing is at 6:30 and make the call...  I really hope he'll be OK with at-home treatments!  Poor kid.  :(

Update:

We are home now!  He is still having issues, though.  The ER's goal is not to cure it, but just to get the attack under enough control that he can last 4 hrs between treatments.  It's frustrating having to leave and come up with him still struggling to breathe, though.  :(  He has to get treatments every 4 hours, even overnight.  He is doing one right now, then I will set my cell phone alarm to wake me in 4 hours for the next one.  Hopefully he can hold out so we don't have to go back! 

Thank you all for the thoughts, prayers and well wishes!

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachMommy07
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Prayers to your little guy. I hope the treatments help with the wheezing. Is he congested in his ears/nose or is it mainly his lungs?

Threes.Company
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM

He is congested in his nose, too.  I am not sure about his ears.  I can hear it in his lungs when I listen to him breathe.  Plus, when he gets wheezy, you can hear it in his voice when he talks, too.  His words sound shorter in a way, it's hard to describe.  But, it sounds like he barely has enough breath to get his words out.  I feel like his voice is like that even now... which makes me concerned that the treatment isn't going to hold out long enough. 

Thank you for the prayers!

Quoting BeachMommy07:

Prayers to your little guy. I hope the treatments help with the wheezing. Is he congested in his ears/nose or is it mainly his lungs?

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

BeachMommy07
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Please take him to the ER. I have lung disease and I'm 34. He's so little. 

Threes.Company
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Quoting BeachMommy07:

Please take him to the ER. I have lung disease and I'm 34. He's so little. 

I too have asthma, so I am able to read his signs.  I want to see how he is at 6:30 (25 more mins) first.  At the first sign that the meds aren't really lasting, I will certainly take him in.  I just don't want to jump the gun, pay $75 in a copay, and have the doctor just tell me to give him breathing treatments every 4 hours.  We have the machine and the prescription.  So I am trying to treat him here first.  He might need a steroid, though. So if I feel like his meds wear off too soon, I will take him immediately.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Poor thing. I hope he's ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2b100808
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM
I think you should make the call.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I'm trying to get my brother or my SIL to come over so I can leave my other two and take him in.  I can tell he isn't fully open.  When he talks, he can only say a couple words before he has to stop for a breath.  Not good. 

My brother said he or SIL can come.  They live 5 mins away.  I'll leave with DS once they get here...

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Hope your little one gets better.  ((hugs))

dusky_rose
by Sue on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

AWww! I hope you get some help with your other kids so that its easier for you to take him in. Good luck!

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

proudmommy690
by Christa on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM
aww :( i hope he doesnt have to go to the er. *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)