Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Football 101

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

I have a confession to make: I cannot stand football. I just never have been able to understand it. I live in a city that's hosted a Super Bowl and went to a Big Ten college...and even went to games!...but it's just never been something I find appealing.

Some people believe football has taken over for baseball as the "national pastime." And more and more women are getting into it; 44 percent of football watchers are women now, and I bet most of them aren't reading a book on the couch next to their man (like I tend to do).

Maybe it's worth learning something about? The NFL has a beginner's guide to football; worst case scenario, you can use it this winter at your friends' football parties even if you never watch a play.

Here's the quick rundown: 11 men per side, the goal is to run, throw or kick the ball into the other team's end zone, and the other team tries to defend their end zone. Those people grappling with each other all the time (called the line of scrimmage)? They're defensive ends, tight ends (on the offense) or tackles. Quarterbacks throw, wide receivers catch, running backs run, and everybody else is either trying to block the defense or defend against the offensive team. If you want to know the finer points, ask the nearest fan.

Football: Love it or leave it?

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dusky_rose
by Sue on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Ugh! I hate football! My ex used to be a high school football coach and not only did we watch professional football, he would take over the TV to watch replays of his  high school team playing football and diagram plays and he would ask me to be the one to go to his games and supervise the players' moms fry hamburgers at the football games, so we could earn money so that his players could afford to go to football camp during the summer. He even asked me to have our son induced a week early so that he wouldn't miss out on one of these said football camps (that were no where close to home) so he would be gone for the whole week. Yeah, I was a football widow big time and I really hated it! I'm remarried now and my DH likes football, so I'm the one that crochets or goes and messes around in the kitchen and tries to ignore it. I make really good nachos though. LOL

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:01 AM
Love it!
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:07 AM
I want to love it! I am trying to learn..slowly I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM

leave it

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:18 AM
I love it! I grew up in a town with a well known college team and went to high school with a few that went on to play for them. However, my son will play football over my dead body lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM

It is okay. I will watch it while playing on my laptop if it is on tv. We keep up with a few games like Florida State Seminoles, Alabama Roll Tide, and UGA.....more college games than the others.

Jules_
by Julie on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM
For my husband this sums me up exactly!

Quoting Flaca43:

I want to love it! I am trying to learn..slowly I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Love it. Have to.

I woke up at 5:30 in the morning every day from the age of 6 until high school graduation to work out with my younger brother. He has played football every year I his life, except 5. Now he plays college ball, an is most likely going pro.

2 of my uncles have played pro football, and my cousin is currently playing pro football.

My father has a room in his house that is the size of my living room, devoted to my brother's trophies, plaques, and uniforms.

It's all football, all of the time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dream528
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I kinda love football. I don't necessarily know what's going on half the time, but it amuses me nonetheless.

Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I love football.  It is 2nd only to racing =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)