Group Home

Smarter Mom: Football 101

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a confession to make: I cannot stand football. I just never have been able to understand it. I live in a city that's hosted a Super Bowl and went to a Big Ten college...and even went to games!...but it's just never been something I find appealing.

Some people believe football has taken over for baseball as the "national pastime." And more and more women are getting into it; 44 percent of football watchers are women now, and I bet most of them aren't reading a book on the couch next to their man (like I tend to do).

Maybe it's worth learning something about? The NFL has a beginner's guide to football; worst case scenario, you can use it this winter at your friends' football parties even if you never watch a play.

Here's the quick rundown: 11 men per side, the goal is to run, throw or kick the ball into the other team's end zone, and the other team tries to defend their end zone. Those people grappling with each other all the time (called the line of scrimmage)? They're defensive ends, tight ends (on the offense) or tackles. Quarterbacks throw, wide receivers catch, running backs run, and everybody else is either trying to block the defense or defend against the offensive team. If you want to know the finer points, ask the nearest fan.

Football: Love it or leave it?

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-52):
suziejax
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM

i would leave it but  get somewhat involed to connect more with dh who loves it

teesoloca
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

LOVE it...only if its my CHICAGO BEARS!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys