Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: Emergency Items For Your Car

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't own a car, as it just isn't essential in NYC. But my parents live in the country and my dad drives a lot. He travels from his small-ish town to larger cities about once or twice a week to run errands. Sundays, he drives to church, which is about 45 minutes away. He is travelling on mountain curves, over bridges, and just covering a lot of road. I always tell him to dive carefully, but lately I'm thinking he needs some safety gear in his car...just in case.

Like I did a few weeks ago when we chatted about home emergency preparedness kits, I checked out what we should all have in our cars for emergencies. Many of this stuff, I didn't even think about, but it makes total sense. Look over this list, folks: 

Flashlight

Folding shovel

Windshield scrapper

Emergency blanket or tarp

LifeHammer (in the glove compartment to cut through a seatbelt if needed)

Hand warmers (especially if you are in a cold climate)

Jumper cables

Spare tire

Duct tape

Non-perishable snacks (like granola bars or the like)

Water bottles

Clean rags

First aid kit

A bit of cash in small bills

Do you have all of these items in your car? What am I missing on this list? 

ÂŠiStockphoto.com/brozova

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I have a self jump gizmo. It gives your car a jump if the battery dies. I love it !

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:07 AM

This is a good idea.  

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I wish I had AAA. My old  car turned into a POS and it needed to get jumped all the time, always when I was out and about! The engine ended up blowing one day while I was on the highway and had both my kids with me. We were okay, but it was just annoying. A cop came almost right away and he called a tow company. I called my mom because she lives minutes down the rd from where it happened. Well, she was sleeping (she works third) so no big deal, her fiance was gonna come get us. Good thing my mom ended up waking up!!! She has AAA and was able to use that to pay for my tow. The guy said it would have cost me like $200.00 if she didn't have that. I was able to get a "new" Chevy Equinox a few day later and so far so good, but I still want AAA.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

No tire pump on the list? I have that! And AAA! Duh spare tire always!

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Get it its awesome! Even if something happens to car at your home,they'll come out!

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

I wish I had AAA. My old  car turned into a POS and it needed to get jumped all the time, always when I was out and about! The engine ended up blowing one day while I was on the highway and had both my kids with me. We were okay, but it was just annoying. A cop came almost right away and he called a tow company. I called my mom because she lives minutes down the rd from where it happened. Well, she was sleeping (she works third) so no big deal, her fiance was gonna come get us. Good thing my mom ended up waking up!!! She has AAA and was able to use that to pay for my tow. The guy said it would have cost me like $200.00 if she didn't have that. I was able to get a "new" Chevy Equinox a few day later and so far so good, but I still want AAA.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

No tire pump on the list? I have that! And AAA! Duh spare tire always!

tinkerxbell
by Emily on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM

a folding shovel sounds like a good idea, but I've never seen one... I'll have to go hunt one down... we have all but the shovel thing, LifeHammer, hand warmers (but in winter we'd have gloves with us) and the snacks/water. We don't have cash IN the car, but we always have cash with us.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Sep. 14, 2012 at 4:13 PM

granola bars or other nonperishable food

ethans_momma06
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Good idea

momma-flynn
by Greta on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM
The folding shovel made me laugh. We don't get snow here, so my first thought was for just in case you need to bury a body lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM

TFS

mom2jessnky
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM

I have some emergency supplies in my car. I also have an MRE in the car for each family member. Ya never know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN