Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whole Foods Is So Expensive

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM
  • 57 Replies

My title is an out right lie ! 

At least in Hadley, MA it is a lie.

I shop in my area a lot for good quality produce. I go to numerous markets and farmers markets but everywhere the quality is becoming worse and worse. I finally gave in and took a half hour drive out to our closest Whole Foods.

I bought all of this:

10 plums

10 peaches

3 zucchini

1 bag of yellow apples

2 bags of red apples

1 of each color of pepper (red, orange, green, yellow)

box of cherry tomatoes

box of heirloom cherry tomatoes

4 lbs of strawberries

5 lbs of yukon gold potatoes

1 head of califlower

1 full bag of broccoli

5 lbs of whole carrots

1 large bunch of celery

1 dozen bananas

2 lemons

2 limes

10 oranges

1 fingerlength of ginger

1 container of humus

1 bottle of lavender essential oil

1 carton of ice cream

1 small juice for my son

1 small shopping bag

1 large shopping bag

Now I bought all of this for $137 ! I immediately got in the car and called my partner and told him all about it. He was astounded. Right down the road is our local grocery store where we get the best produce for the area and that would have cost us $300. It cost me a little extra in gas but it wasn't that much. Plus the fruit is so much bigger honestly so we saved even more. I actually had to fight to find some things SMALL enough.

And an employee asked why I kept putting things back. No one has every asked me that. She was worried the veggies were bad. I had to tell her that my family just does not need a green pepper the size of a toddlers head. My son is three and kept calling everything giant. He knows his foods and their proper size. Or at least he thought he did. I am definately going back to Whole Foods. I am so happy.

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I want actual prices of each item .   Our whole foods is pretty good on prices as well.  They had special pink grapes that tasted like actual grapes and dd loved them.

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Glad you found good prices on fruits and veggies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I don't like whole foods.  I find that their gluten free stuff is way expensive and most of it has sugar added whereas the non-gluten free doesn't.  So frustrating!

jendawn1
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Wow! What a great deal!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by Sandra on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM

wow.. why is healthy stuff so expensive

falling.rayn
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Dan is gluten free and I look everywhere for good quality items for the right price. I honestly would never buy most of the things at Whole Foods. It is very expensive for dry goods. I get the exact same items at Geisslers for less. This is why I only bought my fruits and veggies here. We live off mainly that though so it is important. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I don't like whole foods.  I find that their gluten free stuff is way expensive and most of it has sugar added whereas the non-gluten free doesn't.  So frustrating!

falling.rayn
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Sorry but I opted out of getting a receipt as a way of saving paper. I never use the thing anyway so I felt no need is getting it. I really must save it next time I go. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

I want actual prices of each item .   Our whole foods is pretty good on prices as well.  They had special pink grapes that tasted like actual grapes and dd loved them.

falling.rayn
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I hear people talk about how much they save in groceries but it is usually pasta and prepared foods and we can not eat those due to dietary restrictions. I have never shopped any other way so this is cheap to me. 

Quoting mamivon2:

wow.. why is healthy stuff so expensive

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Yeah the majority of our diet is veggies too but Whole Foods is 2 hours away so I've only been there once.  I've never even heard of Geisslers.  We shop at Trader Joes, Safeway, Amazon, and VitaCost a lot.  We have a garden right now so that's really helping.

Quoting falling.rayn:

Dan is gluten free and I look everywhere for good quality items for the right price. I honestly would never buy most of the things at Whole Foods. It is very expensive for dry goods. I get the exact same items at Geisslers for less. This is why I only bought my fruits and veggies here. We live off mainly that though so it is important. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
lillucky8
by Jen on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Hmm, good to know, ill have to see if there is a store around here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)