Group Home

would you go? 

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Replies (411-420):
Katt709
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM

oh good. 

I didn't (and I'm not going to) read all the posts. But I'm glad this was sarcastic! :)

Quoting marynash88:

Total sarcasm... read the 2 previous pages before this one and you will fully understand this particular post. :) 

Quoting Katt709:

Marynash88- are you being serious? Do you really think all vaccines protect 100%? Because no vaccine protects 100%. Not one out there. If you're being serious in this reply please call your doctor and ask him/her to explain vaccines to you.

Quoting marynash88:

No that can't be right! Vaccines prevent all diseases 100%. And if you can't get chicken pox, theres absolutly no way you can get Shingles! LOL Nevermind the fact that studies say that it (the vaccine) "may prevent" the contraction of chicken pox/shingles and/or lessen the severity... breaking down the sentence is fun!Define "may" (v): expressing possibility. Define "prevent"(v): keep (something) from happening or arising. May+ prevent= possibility of keeping something from happening.  

If you get natural chicken pox, you CAN get shingles.  If you get the chicken pox vaccine, you CAN get shingles.  If you have had neither and you get the shingles vaccine, you CAN get chicken pox.  After getting chicken pox from the shingles vaccine you CAN get shingles.  You can NOT protect from shingles by ANYTHING other than AVOIDING chicken pox COMPLETELY.  Come on people, use your brains!!

ethans_momma06
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Quoting aviatioNation:

No. Chicken pox can kill, and I love my son to much to purposely expose him to a potentially lethal virus.

Not to nit pick, but you do realize that one of the risks of vaccination is death as well? And that, by vaccinating- you ARE exposing him to a potentially lethal virus? And that unlike other vaccinations that this virus will not continue to live inside his body forever and has the potential to flair up any time the immune system is compromised (from stress even)- and can then pass that illness on to others?

The only way to prevent that is to not get vaccinated and hope to gawd your child doesn't catch it. Either way, there's a risk of death and all that other fun stuff.

Katt709
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM

hmmm... maybe my case was just mild. I didn't think it was any worse than getting a cold really - different obviously - but not any more serious. Guess I was lucky!

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Probably because Shingles passes the chickenpox disease on to people who have no immunization to it.

In essence, vaccinating or not- there isn't much 'herd protection' for this diseas, since even the vaccinated will continue to spread it.

AND shingles sucks. I had pain in my ribs for months afterwards that was almost dibilitating when it would hit. Thank god I wasnt old enought to drive but yaaaaaay nerve damage!

Quoting Katt709:

Side note-
Why does everyone think shingles is so bad? I had it in college. It was a pretty icky rash in my back that progressed around my right side to my stomach. Yes it itched and burned mildly but I functioned fine - still went to work and class. It sucked but it wasn't horrendous. Why is everyone so afraid of it.

Oh and I had a pretty average case of chicken pox when I was a baby.

ethans_momma06
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM

There are some very interesting perspectives up in here. Passionate ones too.

ethans_momma06
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Yeah, it's always different. I actually only had shingles the size of a quarter on my rib. Must have been right on a nerve though because it would feel like someone was stabbing me. Residual nerve pain and damage is common from it apparently. And a plus is, I gave the CP to my lil sister who was to young to have the vax. What fun!

Quoting Katt709:

hmmm... maybe my case was just mild. I didn't think it was any worse than getting a cold really - different obviously - but not any more serious. Guess I was lucky!

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Probably because Shingles passes the chickenpox disease on to people who have no immunization to it.

In essence, vaccinating or not- there isn't much 'herd protection' for this diseas, since even the vaccinated will continue to spread it.

AND shingles sucks. I had pain in my ribs for months afterwards that was almost dibilitating when it would hit. Thank god I wasnt old enought to drive but yaaaaaay nerve damage!

Quoting Katt709:

Side note-
Why does everyone think shingles is so bad? I had it in college. It was a pretty icky rash in my back that progressed around my right side to my stomach. Yes it itched and burned mildly but I functioned fine - still went to work and class. It sucked but it wasn't horrendous. Why is everyone so afraid of it.

Oh and I had a pretty average case of chicken pox when I was a baby.

Gabbysmom615
by Kira on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM

nope

AlilKittyKat
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM

No, Thanks

HOTMOMMY2
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Hell NO!  My two older boys have the vax and the baby will soon have it too.  why torture your child like that.  Its not even about just having the chicken pox its about the Shingles later on in life.  My husbands Grandmother is 86 years old and had a mild case and still has to see her doctor because of the damage done.

armmommy
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Yeah it was a very mild version. I'm glad it wasn't that bad. My two sons (one of them a newborn) didn't get them. I vax my kids and I know it's not 100% but I'm glad it helped. I don't know if I would search it out but my daughter was invited to play while she had them.

Quoting Threes.Company:

I'm sure what she caught was probably a mild version of what she would have had without the vax.  My kids all got whooping cough, despite having been vaccinated... but the version they got was much less intense than what would have happened, for sure.  Anyway, I still would not seek out the virus.  If they catch, they catch it... we'll deal with it.  But I'm not hunting it down.

Quoting armmommy:

Mine did too but my daughter got them last month. One family from church invited her over to play while she had them. She was at the grandparents when she broke out so we extended her stay there so that our newborn wouldn't get them. No one else got them though.

Quoting Threes.Company:

Nah.  My kids got the vax.

dgarcia7
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM
I could not do that! I understand the idea of getting it over with while young, but NO way could I bring myself to do that:( plus, my child is NEVER sick, so it would be miserable for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80