Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School problems already

Posted by   + Show Post
Im already so frustrated with her school. :(

1. The teacher wants her there 30 minutes BEFORE school starts so that dd can do morning work with te rest of the class. This consists of written first last names 5x. No!

2. Community supplies. Yes, this pisses me off. As a parent who bought the school supplies you suggested, including the pencil case, there is no reason they aren't using their own supplies. Especially since dd watched a student sneeze into his hand, and then dig into the crayon box. As a parent who offered to allow you to make a $150 supply list every 3 months, this REALLY pisses me off.

3. Dd has yet to be switched to the 1st grade class, because they are already behind on school testing. She complains about being bored with the work. She does homework in 5 minutes, and then wants to talk about the very first time she did it, 2.5 years ago.

I can't take it!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
That's frustrating
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by Sandra on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

yeah the 30min earlier thing is odd to me...

Rain2Rinse
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Months before school started I took her in to have her tested. At the point, she was only at mid/end of 1st grade level. I was told that they would be moving her to first grade. Now the school is telling me that they don't do that, they just give the students work that is at their level.

It is a mess.

Quoting inmybizz:

That's crazy!! Are they aware she so far advanced?  It seems like they would exempt her from that morning work period.

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

... I never said my daughter is behind. My 5 year old kindergarten student is at a 2nd grade level across the board.

Again, morning work is writing first and last name 5-10x. That shouldn't take 30 minutes, in my opinion. And dd has been writing her name legibly since 3 years of age.

Quoting mjande4:

It sounds like 7:30-8:00 is tutoring/extra help. If your daughter is behind, why wouldn't you want to get her there for that assistance!?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM
All of her supplies were labeled and everything. And my thing is, I have no problem buying school supplies for other students. I've web offered I supply her class with what is needed.

I want her to use her own things. She puts the eraser tip in her mouth when she is concentrating on math. Though, obviously this isn't going to be a problem, as they will spend all year working out 10+10.

*le sigh

Quoting inmybizz:

I haven't had any problems with my daughter's school. Her supplies are hers only(everything is labeled with her name). At the end of the year unused supplies are sent home.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I hope you get it worked out. It sounds like she's showing up early to do busy work. She's doing the same level work as the rest of the class or individualized to her level?

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Months before school started I took her in to have her tested. At the point, she was only at mid/end of 1st grade level. I was told that they would be moving her to first grade. Now the school is telling me that they don't do that, they just give the students work that is at their level.

It is a mess.

Quoting inmybizz:

That's crazy!! Are they aware she so far advanced?  It seems like they would exempt her from that morning work period.

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

... I never said my daughter is behind. My 5 year old kindergarten student is at a 2nd grade level across the board.

Again, morning work is writing first and last name 5-10x. That shouldn't take 30 minutes, in my opinion. And dd has been writing her name legibly since 3 years of age.

Quoting mjande4:

It sounds like 7:30-8:00 is tutoring/extra help. If your daughter is behind, why wouldn't you want to get her there for that assistance!?

Rain2Rinse
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM
She's doing the same work as the rest of the class. I want her to be challenged. :/

Quoting inmybizz:

I hope you get it worked out. It sounds like she's showing up early to do busy work. She's doing the same level work as the rest of the class or individualized to her level?

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

It is a mess.

Quoting inmybizz:

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Quoting mjande4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I hear you! I'm frustrated with my son's school. He starts a full day before 9am. The first day of school they forgot to give him his lunch and my son informed me he cried in front of his class. Mommy wasn't happy. 

As for you and the school supplies can you bring that up in a PTA meeting?

Rain2Rinse
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Awww, poor guy :(

I'm going to schedule a meeting with the principal for Friday. I will join the PTA then

Quoting BeachMommy07:

I hear you! I'm frustrated with my son's school. He starts a full day before 9am. The first day of school they forgot to give him his lunch and my son informed me he cried in front of his class. Mommy wasn't happy. 

As for you and the school supplies can you bring that up in a PTA meeting?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Im sorry that the school is so frustrating
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM

that is crazy. Our school doesn't even let our kids in before 735. I don't think they can force you to bring her in half an hour early. 

We do community supplies too and I don't mind. We bought all name brand supplies for dd knowing it would be shared, with the germs I just figure chances are they are going to catch them anyway. I have seen in dd's class already kids grabbing toys and crayons that other kids have.

As far as not being not allowed to run I don't think that will last very long. You can't keep 5 and 6 year olds from running especially on the play ground

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)