Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool ..kindergarden help !!!

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM
  • 21 Replies

What are some good electronic systems that can help with his alphabet ? We have all kinds of books , flash cards , ect.... but he just doesnt want to sit and learn =( I thought maybe if it was a game type learning he may want to sit and learn ..

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bizzyx4
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM

My kids have Mobigos.  We have had leapsters in the past as well.  In my honest opinion, I don't think an electronic device will help if he doesn't want to sit. 

My ds is 5 and knew his alphabet at 2.  As well as colors, shapes, and could count to 30.

My dd is 3 and she knows most of her alphabet, some colors, some shapes and can count to like 14.

Every kid is so different and I worked with my dd the exact same way I did with my ds. 

However try a innotab, leapster, mobigo...those would be fun to play anyway.

tinkerxbell
by Emily on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM

My DS has the VTECH Innotab. He doesn't have a lot of games for it, but I know you can download games online (for pretty cheap too) if you have an SD card for it, and I'm sure there are plenty of alphabet games.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM
He will sit and play the iphone and computer .. but I just want something more friendly :) .. he went to preschool however where he's delayed he still needs extra help and I help him every afternoon when he gets home .. I'm just looking for other outlets for him to use !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kthruz143
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM
We use games on the iPad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Honestly the best thing for my kids has been repitition.  We sing the abc song 100 times a day.  My 2 year old already knows his because of this. 

rawrmommysaurus
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I started a prize chart.  I put 9 days in one row and 4 rows.  when they fill one row they get a prize.  I have some candy, and dollar toys.  Nothing fancy.  When they fill up 4 rows they get $10.  They only get ot mark off the day, when they do their home work with out complaining.  

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM

He can sing the songs his numbers and his alphabet .. its just he has problems with picking them out and of course writing them . Which we work on everyday .. he just doesnt like to sit still over 5 or 10 mins at a time =( ..

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

Honestly the best thing for my kids has been repitition.  We sing the abc song 100 times a day.  My 2 year old already knows his because of this. 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

How old is he?  I don't believe in electronic devices to teach children.  What exactly are you trying to teach him, letter recognition?

Go for a walk.  See who can find a certain letter first.  Or you can do this...

letter hunt

put the letters around the outside of a paper plate with cuts between them and you fold it down when you find the letter.  Make it fun!  Make it competetive!  Who wants to sit and work on worksheets and flash cards in kindergarten?  Do a letter of the week and focus on stuff that starts with that letter.  If he doesn't like sit down don't do sit down.  Glue beans on the letter B.  Do whatever he likes and bring letters into it.  I taught my son to spell his name by making a game out of his power wheel.  He was trying to ride it on our hill and kept getting stuck.  So before I would unstick him he had to spell his name.  He had a blast and he learned to spell his name.

Learning his learning style now will be of great benefit to both of you :)

VisionSeeker
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM
We have mobigos and we use nick jr website
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wingsfan1234
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM

My daughter has a  LeapPad but we really just work on the letters/numbers randomly throughout the day when she is home

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN