Do you tell your children the truth about

Posted by   + Show Post

school before they start? 

Do you tell them they will be there for most of the day? That they will have to leave right after breakfast if not eat breakfast there? That they will have to eat lunch there? That they will have to come home and work on more school work and then it will probably be time for dinner and bed? That they have to go five days a week? That they will be in a room full of other kids but they can not talk with out getting in trouble most of the time? That they are only allowed to play certain hours during the day and most time only certain days a week? And so on.

If not how do you prep him or her for school?

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Of course, I wanted her to be prepared. I wasn't quite as blunt, and tried to present it in a positive way.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM

i was not trying to be negative just making sure that he knew it other wise he would freak out and not want to go back. I have to do it in simple basically blunt ways or he doesn't get it. 

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I was straight up with my dd, she started kindergarten this year but, it's not as strict as you are describing.  She has plenty of time to play after dinner and bath and homework if she has any.  She gets on the bus at 8:30 and gets home just before 4pm.  She loves it.

ethans_momma06
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Yeah we've covered everything.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM
I never had to have that talk with dd. I worked full time from when she was an infant, so she has always been in some type of all day program.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I am honest with them. I don't want them having any surprises but the teacher will tell them too what is going on.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM
I didn't go into every single detail,to the point of bed time! Rules, expectantions! Its been so long since my kids 1st started school!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabbyD
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM
This... I have a 4th & 7th grader... My toddler still has some time to go.

Quoting Leelee1008:

no, we dont get into it like that. its been a while since I have had a kindergartener since my boys are in 4th and 6th grade. My DD has a few more years to go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM
My dd has been in a structured school environment since 2. She knew the drill
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

nope they are homeschooled now 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: