Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The Scented Candle Debate

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 66 Replies

What's your position on scented candles? Right, I fully admit this is not a question that will impact national security or even how the rest of your day will go, but it has been nagging at me.

There are so many options out there - you've got the huge variety of Yankee Candles to those chic ones from Jo Malone, you can get any scent you want these days. But I am a little torn about them. Maybe it is because I am really sensitive to scents (my husband says I have a super nose, as I can smell things he can't) or perhaps as I have a gazillion allergies and don't want to take the chance I may cause some sneezies by lighting one.

I have gotten many as gifts over the years, and have given a few as hostess presents. The one thing I do know: never light a scented candle at a dinner table or when you are eating. The scents compete with the smell of the food and can alter the taste of a delicious meal...who knew, right? I learned that a few years ago on a home makeover show, I think...

But back to the question at hand: how do you feel about scented candles? Do you have a favorite scent? Do you like to get them as gifts or give them?   

Weigh in on this - what's your position on scented candles?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/tzara

by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I prefer Scentsy, just because there is no open flame, but I do love Yankee candle in McIntosh Apple.

Rushn311
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I hate Yankee Candle candles...I don't like any of the scents. I like some from Bath and body works but don't want to pay the price so I stick with Glade. LOL

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM
I'm not a fan of scented candles. They all end up giving me a headache =(
AstuteMama
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I love scented candles. Vanilla scents and pumpkin scents are a couple of my favorites. Yes I receive them for gifts and I also give them for gifts.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 27, 2012 at 5:21 AM

I used to enjoy them, but I've become sensitive to smells, so I don't use them anymore-DH tells me he doesn't smell them. I don't mind them in someone's house if it's subtle, but sometimes it's overpowering.

lasombrs
by Sara on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:09 AM

they make me sick. that and scented lotions and stuff we dont use them

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:24 AM
My DH doesn't care for burning candles, so we usually stay away. I don't mind very light scents, but I do tend to be sensitive to strong or overpowering scents, so I don't miss the candles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I don't use them. We have timed spray air fresheners. 

Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM

We don't use them often, because of small children running around.  But, I do enjoy my Hat Creek candles in Hazelnut Cappucino or Seafoam.  I also use the Scentsy sometimes.

CowgirlSoldier
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I love scented candles and for years have been searching for the perfect home fregrance. 

I have tried scentsy and do NOT like it at all. I have five different warmers rangeing from plug in to large. The scents are nice but only last a short while. They just don't last long enough for my sniffer.

Yankee are nice because there is a wide variety of scents but I think they are overpriced considering a large Yankee only lasts about a week in my home. I light them during the day and blow them out at bedtime.

WoodWick Candles are my favorite. They last long and the smell is fregrant and delightful. The Pumpkin and Carmel are my favorite. I also really enjoy the tri-scented cafe scent. 

My weigh in on scented home fragrence is as follows: sprays don't last, scentsy is a worthless fad, investing in a candle warmer is a better idea and the candle lasts longer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN