Group Home

Smarter Mom: Latest Baby Name News

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies

Kiddo just started Kindergarten. Big stuff, I'd say. A new school, new teachers and new buddies, which means new names to get to know. I'm always curious as to what new, fun names we may run across. Here in the city, you hear everything at the playground or in the school hallways. In my daughter's class, we've got some of the regulars - Max, Alexander, James - as well as some new-er names like Emerson (two young ladies with that jazzy name), Zoe, Lilly. All cool kids, I'd say and all seem to "match" their names, if you know what I mean. 

I read that classic names were on the rise again, making a surge in popularity. The name gurus from Nameberry (also contributors at Huffington Post) listed out what folks are picking. For girls, Ada, Alice (From Wonderland and the world of Twilight), Cecilia, Cora (I guess all of those Downton Abby fans are weighing in on that). They cite Leo, Silas, Gideon, Emmett (yup, another one boosted by Twilight fans) and Abel as boy names getting hotter and hotter.

It is funny, when we were looking tor possibles to name Kiddo, I did look at literary references as well as TV shows. Full confession: I had a soft spot for soap opera names. I look at the web sites and cast lists of All My Children, General Hospital, all of them and add them to our name list...of course, they got vetoed by my husband, who wanted a more traditional name.

What about you? What inspired your name picks? Do you like classic or "new" names? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/rFanci88 

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM
I actually heard my sons name here on cm his middle name is family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM
I tried to.find a name that wasn't popular but that didn't work out well. I had never heard it and it fit hunnies wants
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM

DD got hers somehow.  I forget how we came up with first name.  She has 2 middle names after 2 strong aunts in the family.  One who is still living has overcome polio as a young girl.  The other has passed on but served in at least one war as a nurse and was a strong, independant woman until she got ALS and passed away.  She has her daddys last name since even though we are not married, i am a traditional girl .

ErikaAmerika112
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I like different names, "new names" as its called on here.  My daughters middle name takes after me and my mother, Lynn-- but her first name is Skyleigh.  Usually spelled Skylee.  I wanted a different spelling to it (but not TOO different where if you were to look it at you would question how to pronounce it, I see that all too often).  I love her name.  I've asked opinions about it on babycenter.com and got mostly very rude results like, "Could you picture your daughter at 40 years old being called "Skyleigh"?"  and "That's not a name she's ever going to get a job with, its simply not professional."  or just plain, "That name is pitiful and disgusting."  Well guess what, I like it- and I stuck with it; and at this present time- she looks like a Skyleigh and I call her Skybooger sometimes when I'm playing with her. :)

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:36 AM

The first thing I did upon finding a name I liked was search the Social Security Website for how common it was. Anything in the top 200 was immediately crossed off the list.

I hate super common names. It's nothing against the name personally, it's just no one wants to be *Nauseatingly common Name* Last Initial FOR EVER.  I do not understand why so many people are naming their kids Madison, Ava, Olivia, Isabelle/Isabel, Aiden, etc. SO common. There are 4 freaking Olivia's in one of the pre-k classes. 2 of my cousins have daughters, about the same age, both named Madison. I'd like to point out another issue with Madison (other than that everyone and their dog uses it, yuck) it's BOY'S name. It literally means SON of Matt. In fact any name that ends in SON, means "Son of Matt, John, Adam, etc" they're BOY names.

It's really grating my ass crack that my youngest's name is gaining popularity here. ERGH. STOP IT. I had NEVER met a real person with her name, I name her it, then a bunch of people start using it. Bastards. It's also extra annoying that there is another one in her grade (but mine is a year older so they copied me.) Thankfully they're not in the same class.

My oldest daughter's name isn't even in the Top 1000. Whoot! I've only ever heard of people that have her nickname as their name, never her name. Though her name is often confused with a name that is common. Yuck.

Anyway, after all that. Both of my kids have one name with a family origin (my oldest's first name is a combo of two family members' names), my youngest's middle name is the same as my little sister's, but I used an alternate spelling. Then they both have a name that we found in Superman/Smallville. That might be why my youngest's name is gaining popularity...nerds are having kids. The character we named her after was pretty awesome.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:49 AM

We each have 4 names...

A family name

A biblical name

A name that matches

A last name

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Dds First name is quite common. It always has been, and most likely always will be. Her middle name we picked from the chronicles of Narnia.

The next baby will be named after a president, boy or girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Me too except I have a daughter braelyn(after brae425) and dianne (after my aunt who passed away and grandma who's still alive)

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I actually heard my sons name here on cm his middle name is family

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Gideon is a pretty okay name. Gallahad is nice too, but I dont know that DH would go for it. LOL.

Henrik is my sons name. I loved Henry but DH didnt find it to be masculine enough despite my telling him that it was the name of Kings and Noblemen. LOL! We decided to look into my German background and DH found Henrik....I fell in love immediately. :)

Threes.Company
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I like very classic names...  I searched the Social Security Administration's name catalog for the top names from 1920, 1930, 1940, etc.  Our kids are Lucy, Henry and Charlie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.