Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Latest Baby Name News

Posted by   + Show Post

Kiddo just started Kindergarten. Big stuff, I'd say. A new school, new teachers and new buddies, which means new names to get to know. I'm always curious as to what new, fun names we may run across. Here in the city, you hear everything at the playground or in the school hallways. In my daughter's class, we've got some of the regulars - Max, Alexander, James - as well as some new-er names like Emerson (two young ladies with that jazzy name), Zoe, Lilly. All cool kids, I'd say and all seem to "match" their names, if you know what I mean. 

I read that classic names were on the rise again, making a surge in popularity. The name gurus from Nameberry (also contributors at Huffington Post) listed out what folks are picking. For girls, Ada, Alice (From Wonderland and the world of Twilight), Cecilia, Cora (I guess all of those Downton Abby fans are weighing in on that). They cite Leo, Silas, Gideon, Emmett (yup, another one boosted by Twilight fans) and Abel as boy names getting hotter and hotter.

It is funny, when we were looking tor possibles to name Kiddo, I did look at literary references as well as TV shows. Full confession: I had a soft spot for soap opera names. I look at the web sites and cast lists of All My Children, General Hospital, all of them and add them to our name list...of course, they got vetoed by my husband, who wanted a more traditional name.

What about you? What inspired your name picks? Do you like classic or "new" names? 

©iStockphoto.com/rFanci88 

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-55):
maxswolfsuit
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

We went with classics. 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:17 PM

We picked our kids names after family members and from the bible

Kainalu55
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM

i like Hawaiian names

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I don't think I go for certain types..just ones I like.

MissyB1011
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM

We tried to pick names that we didn't no anyone else with those names. Apparently, everyone had the same idea since Abigail and Alexander have been in the top 10 lately. Abby's middle name is a combo of my Mom and MIL's middle names. Alex's middle name is my DH's first name.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN