Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dilemma?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM
  • 29 Replies

My 19  year old daughter has been corresponding with another girl who is 23 for the last 4 years.  They communicate over the internet and by phone.  I have never met the girl and this girl has now invited my daughter to come visit her in NY for a few days after Christmas.  My daughter really wants to go to experience all there is to see in NY but I'm a little leary since I really don't know this girl.  I have asked my daughter tons of questions about the girl, which she answered but I still don't feel right about her going.  I know she's 19 and I guess I can't stop her if she really wants to go but she has asked for my permission.  Am I being an overprotective mom?

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM

No.  I don't believe you are.  You never know who this person really is.  In this day and age you can't be too careful.

ambermario4ever
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Well she is 19 so she can do as she wants. But maybe you can talk to the girl yourself to ease your mind a little and you can video chat with your daughter while she is gone.
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:43 PM
I wouldnt feel comfy with that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by Kari on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Same here.

Quoting MamaJane:

I wouldnt feel comfy with that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristinRox
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Could you maybe make it a little "girls" trip. Maybe go over to NY with her. She can have her freedom with her friend, and you can hang out and see stuff and do stuff without her, while shes gone. That way she wont be completely by herself, and youll feel better about it? 

The reason I say this. I went to Oregon when I was 19, my mom was like you. She said she couldnt say no, if I wanted to go, I was an adult and could go. Lets just say it didnt turn out well, but happily, Im still alive to tell the story. Looking back, I wish my mom would have come with me. :0)

JerseyGirl511
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the advice ladies.  My daughter and I are still discussing it and I told her that I want to met the girl before I would say it's okay.  I had thought about going to NY when she goes but she told me now that she wants to stay a week and I can't possibly afford to stay in NY that long or even a few days as I'm going through a divorce and all my extra funds are going to the lawyer.  I'm sure we'll work it out and I appreciate your insights.  I was just concerned that I'm being too over protective. 

mamivon2
by Sandra on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM

do they have pictures of eachother

crabbyD
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Since you can't go and stay for that long I'd definitely want to meet this friend too. I don't think you're overprotective I'd be as concerned as you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyGirl511
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM

yes they do and she said the girl also has a facebook page - I need to check that FB page out

Quoting mamivon2:

do they have pictures of eachother

LifeCafe42
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Could you guys Skype? Just so you could meet talk and see if she's who she says she is?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN