Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Hair Color Trends

Posted by   + Show Post

Those of us devoted to our haircolor routine fall into two camps: those of us who do it for fun, and those of us who do it for necessity (or what we think of as necessity!). 

Those in the "fun" camp enjoy changing up their color every few months or so and relish the freedom that comes with getting to be a redhead one day and a blond the next. The "necessity" camp either started going gray pretty young (I started getting enough gray to be really noticeable at around 30) or for whatever other reason (maybe your blond hair is your signature but your natural tone has darkened) feel the need to maintain something different than what Mother Nature endowed you with.

No matter what camp you fall into, staying up-to-date on trends makes sure your dye job never gets dated. Trends for fall include:

Bright or pastel offbeat colors: Pink streaks seem to be big with my mom friends these days, and I've seen green and blue as well. It's daring and maybe something you shouldn't try if you work in a more conservative field, but can be super fun if you have a little more freedom.

Ombre color: A darker color close to the head descending into lighter color and highlights. Done right, this looks like summer beachy blond grown out naturally (think the way yours might have changed when you were a kid), done wrong it looks like you are just not maintaining your color properly.

Warm blondish brown: This happens to be the hair color of both my children, so I love it. This works with a lot of skin tones and you can do a lot with it: add red or golden highlights, dark brown lowlights, or leave it as it is.

Of course, the best color is the one that looks good on you. What haircolor trend are you trying this fall?

by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
dusky_rose
by Sue on Sep. 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I just dye my hair brown to cover up the grays.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

bether89
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I am going natural.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I am totally gray, and not bothered by it. Some women my age look ok with coloring, but sometimes it looks garish. I don't want to turn into a blue haired old lady, lol.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM

none!  i haven't dyed my hair in ages.  used to dye it all the time, various shades of red from about high school till my daughter was 2.  then she started to try to help me & since my husband used to work 15-18hr days it was really hard to do my hair without her help.  it became easier to just let it go natural then to fight her help. ;o)

ethans_momma06
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM
none
Rushn311
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I only have a few gray hairs, so I just do highlights. It's about time I get it done again tho but it's not exactly cheap.  LOL

lasombrs
by Sara on Sep. 29, 2012 at 6:17 AM

i dont do it at all

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM

none really...but i do need a haircut

dream528
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I don't usually color my hair. I have that warm blondish brown that they talk about...BUT, since having my son, I've been getting some awfully noticeable greys at my temples. Ugh. So it looks like coloring my hair, in general, will the the trend of the season! 

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Sep. 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I actually have a box of hair dye in my bathroom right now. I almost always dye it a burgundy color. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN