Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: Text Acronyms 101

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

This question had me ROTFL...or at least giggling as these letters strung together, in all caps, have perplexed every one of us at some time or another.

POPPUFFFL: Help! I feel like I am in the know, that I can keep up with texting and all of the latest tech and app crazes, but sometimes I just don't know what certain acronyms mean when I see them in chat rooms or when my 13 year old texts me. Do you have the lowdown on some of the more popular ones so I know what folks are talking about?

I feel you. Kiddo does not have a cell phone nor does she text. But my 12 year old niece does and sometimes she'll text me a brief "Hope U R having a Good Day!" followed by some acronym that I will look at, try to decipher, and then break open the computer to Google what it means. Yes, those acroynms (some of which we see here too) that you scratch your head and think, "DANG! What could that stand for?"

We all know DS, DD, DH, and the like, but here are a few you may be seeing that are new to you...drop some into chat rooms or texts!

HMU -- Hit me up (I guess you use it to tell who you are texting with to follow up on whatever it is, like "HMU with that info on the class bake sale!")

IDK - I don't know.

WBU -- What about you?

BBIAB -- Be back in a bit!

JTLYK -- Just to let you know (As in, to your husband: "JTLYK, we are totally out of toilet paper. Unless you want to use pages from her coloring book, pick some up on the way home from work.")

PROPS -- Proper respect and acknowledgement (If you really want to impress the kids, use this...as in "PROPS to Dad for remembering to pick up toilet paper!")

MTFBWY -- May the Force Be With You (A way to say goodbye that your 13 year old will love) 

SFSG -- So far so good

SLAP -- Sounds like a plan

TMB -- Text me back

BEG -- Big evil grin

T:)T -- Think happy thoughts.

BISFLATM  -- Boy, I sure feel like a turquoise monkey!

Which ones of these made you giggle? Which ones will you use? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/nebari       

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AstuteMama
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I don't use any of them. I guess that I like to type everything out in my text messages. I don't like being confused in the text messages, so I use my full words. My daughter likes to use these acronyms when texting me a message, and I have to text her back with question marks and asking her to explain the acronyms.

fraujones
by Amanda on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

BEG makes me laugh. I would never guess that. I'm old.

PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM
BISFLATM?!?!? LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I know a lot of accronyms and I know none of those, but one.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM
I don't really use any of those!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Thanks

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM
My husband's new favorite is YOLO... Sigh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VisionSeeker
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM
T:)T

That made me giggle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM

BISFLATM- i use that one all the time..LOL!!

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I use lol,lmao that's about it.. My girls know if they are going to text me they BETTER spell correctly. Even my adult children. I cringe when I see them text C U later..Or skool for school. I'm like that makes you look and sound ignorant..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN