Group Home

Smarter Health: Dehydration 101

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

We read about it all of the time during the summer months, when the temperature is spiking in the 90s and we're outside in the heat -- how to be careful to not get dehydrated. Now that the crisp Fall breezes are here, we may not be as conscious of drinking those liquids...but it is still important. Especially as we layer on sweaters and run around outside, our bodies still sweat, and those liquids need to be replaced.

Sure, being thirsty is a huge clue that you need to drink some fluids, but even then, they say you are well on your way to mild dehydration. What are the other signs?  Definitely feeling tired and fatigued, as well as slight dizziness and light-headedness.

For kids, it is a whole different ball game -- they aren't readily going to take inventory of their thirst level...and if they are uber-little ones, then they can't tell you they want some more juice or water. Look for not as many wet diapers, sunken eyes, few tears when crying, as well as being really cranky and grumpy when they usually aren't. And of course, dizziness and being lethargic are biggies, too. Getting kids to drink water is sometimes tough, so if you are desperate, try giving them a Popsicle, which is mostly water.

Have you dealt with dehydration? How do you remember to drink water -- or have your kids drink a glass?

ŠiStockphoto.com/avajjon     

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma2rhylee
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM
All my kid her low grade fevers if they haven't had enough water but should've. Sometimes they will throw up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AstuteMama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I haven't ever dealt with dehydration yet. I have a water dispenser in my apartment that holds 5 gallon water bottles. My boys like drinking water, so it isn't hard to get them to drink water everyday.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Not with my DS but I've worked camps and in a drs office so I do there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetpea1269
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM
I have been dehydrated a few times. I needed IV fluids when I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I struggle to keep myself well hydrated... But no problems with keeping my son hydrated! Really I just need to carry a water bottle around.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yes..I passed out at a fair due to dehydration.. I now remember to always drink plenty of water..especially on hot hot days..

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM
I've never delt with it and neither have my children .. granted we usually have water with us every where we go just incase..
ballerina.2006
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I get dehydrated almosy every time I'm sick, like now.

My dd has been dehydrated a couple times when younger and was really sick. Ds I don't think has. I can at least get him to eat popsicles even when sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM

My kids do pretty well with drinking, but I have to be more conscious of how much I drink.  I know that I don't get enough, most of the time.

tifferie
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM
I had hyperemesis and severe dehydration for my whole pregnancy. My dd is allergic to milk. We have to watch it because she gets bloody diarrhea which could lead to shock or dehydration.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. proudmommy690
  2. cemcnair
  3. melliburger
  4. ScrChk23
  5. Ladyisis
  6. momofsixangels