Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Dehydration 101

Posted by   + Show Post

We read about it all of the time during the summer months, when the temperature is spiking in the 90s and we're outside in the heat -- how to be careful to not get dehydrated. Now that the crisp Fall breezes are here, we may not be as conscious of drinking those liquids...but it is still important. Especially as we layer on sweaters and run around outside, our bodies still sweat, and those liquids need to be replaced.

Sure, being thirsty is a huge clue that you need to drink some fluids, but even then, they say you are well on your way to mild dehydration. What are the other signs?  Definitely feeling tired and fatigued, as well as slight dizziness and light-headedness.

For kids, it is a whole different ball game -- they aren't readily going to take inventory of their thirst level...and if they are uber-little ones, then they can't tell you they want some more juice or water. Look for not as many wet diapers, sunken eyes, few tears when crying, as well as being really cranky and grumpy when they usually aren't. And of course, dizziness and being lethargic are biggies, too. Getting kids to drink water is sometimes tough, so if you are desperate, try giving them a Popsicle, which is mostly water.

Have you dealt with dehydration? How do you remember to drink water -- or have your kids drink a glass?

ŠiStockphoto.com/avajjon     

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

my son only ever drinks water...he is 5 :)

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

i try to drink enough water each day..i dont do 8 glasses...that's just too much for me...but i do try to stay hydrated

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

i should add i rarely drink things like sodas and sweet teas and those sorts of things...i have my morning hot drink and then the rest of the day it's mainly water :)

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM
My kids drink a lot naturally. I make sure I get my 80 oz a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM

We always have water with us so we drink it often.

mes_deux_amours
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Fortunately my kids drink a lot of water!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Always have it available

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM

We always takes drinks with us.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Yes, when my dd was an infant,she was admitted.  Now my kids ask for drinks all the time.  My son drinks a sippy every 1 1/2 hours or so.  I drink all the time, I'm also on a medication that makes me super thirsty.

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM

We have not had to deal with dehydration yet. We always carry reusable water bottles with us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)