$50 - $75 a Week?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 46 Replies

Okay ladies...I have a very serious question.

My available funds per week will range from $50-$75 a week for grocery and non-grocery items ( like paper towels, toilet paper, tampons, diapers, etc ).

Is this possible to live off of?

We are a family of 3....2 adults (one with dietary restrictions - basically all he can eat is meat and veggies ) and my 3 year old son.

Any tips or ideas? ( we already use coupons ).

Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I use $50 for the a week for a family of 4. It is me, DH, 5DD, 2DD. 

When you start your list, put down the non grocery stuff first. Then add on the regular stuff you get like eggs, milk, bacon, etc. Make a menu for the week. If you have some veggies already, make meals that go with them so that you have less you have to buy. After you make your meals go through and figure out what you need for each and make your list. When you go to the store make sure you pay attention to all the specials and sales. Just get what you need to make what you have. You may have to get the same thing again the next week, but when you are on a tight budget, you have to get what you need for what you are making. 

It is possible. It does take a little bit to get it down to where you know what to buy and everything, but it is easy after you get used to it.

EireLass
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Not sure. But I would get rid of paper towels altogether. Use rags, and just wash them for next time. Cut up old towels, etc, to make rags. Use washable napkins for dinner, instead of paper ones. I think it's hard in the beginning, but if you only buy what's on sale, while using your coupons, eventually you'll have a variety in the fridge and cabinets. You can buy dry beans fairly cheap, then you can prepare a whole bunch and put them in glass jars and freeze them (rather than canned beans). Rice is fairly cheap as well. A real big help is understanding portion size. America definately over-eats. A portion is the size of your palm.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Quoting ashleymosq:

When you start your list, put down the non grocery stuff first. Then add on the regular stuff you get like eggs, milk, bacon, etc. Make a menu for the week. If you have some veggies already, make meals that go with them so that you have less you have to buy. After you make your meals go through and figure out what you need for each and make your list. When you go to the store make sure you pay attention to all the specials and sales. Just get what you need to make what you have. You may have to get the same thing again the next week, but when you are on a tight budget, you have to get what you need for what you are making. 

It is possible. It does take a little bit to get it down to where you know what to buy and everything, but it is easy after you get used to it.

We usually spend about $150 a week at the grocery store...so this is terrifying for us. Thank you !

CafeMom Tickers
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:37 AM

For us it would but we don't buy paper towels (except a rare treat because I like cleaning windows with them). We used cloth diapers, and I use a menstrual cup and mama cloth, and we also use family cloth.

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM

one pot dishes
soup or goulash
pasta mixed with veggies and meat
casseroles - add in meat and veggies
baked meats with a veggie
crockpot meals
rice (makes a lot) rice with veggie or meat
mashed potatoes with veggie or meat (shepherd's pie)

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Oh I know the feeling lol. I went from spending whatever I wanted to going down to $70 and then down to $50. My DH's last job he got a ton of over time. This job he makes more, but no over time... 

Oh another thing that is really good to do is check the grocery stores that are in your area that you go to and find the sales at each. See which one has the best sales for what you are buying and go there to get your food. I actually am about to do my list for the week lol. 

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting ashleymosq:

We usually spend about $150 a week at the grocery store...so this is terrifying for us. Thank you !

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Quoting EireLass:

Not sure. But I would get rid of paper towels altogether. Use rags, and just wash them for next time. Cut up old towels, etc, to make rags. Use washable napkins for dinner, instead of paper ones. I think it's hard in the beginning, but if you only buy what's on sale, while using your coupons, eventually you'll have a variety in the fridge and cabinets. You can buy dry beans fairly cheap, then you can prepare a whole bunch and put them in glass jars and freeze them (rather than canned beans). Rice is fairly cheap as well. A real big help is understanding portion size. America definately over-eats. A portion is the size of your palm.

Well the towels would be to clean up dog pee because they are not yet house trained. :(

Also...DH cant have rice or beans....only meat and veggitables. So it makes things very expensive.

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Quoting delanna6two:

one pot dishes
soup or goulash
crockpot meals

Out of that whole list...we are looking at just eating baked meat and veggie :(

CafeMom Tickers
delanna6two
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM

so no pasta/rice

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting delanna6two:

one pot dishes
soup or goulash
crockpot meals

Out of that whole list...we are looking at just eating baked meat and veggie :(

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I might need your help in November. :(

Quoting ashleymosq:

Oh I know the feeling lol. I went from spending whatever I wanted to going down to $70 and then down to $50. My DH's last job he got a ton of over time. This job he makes more, but no over time... 

Oh another thing that is really good to do is check the grocery stores that are in your area that you go to and find the sales at each. See which one has the best sales for what you are buying and go there to get your food. I actually am about to do my list for the week lol. 

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting ashleymosq:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: