Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay ladies...I have a very serious question.

My available funds per week will range from $50-$75 a week for grocery and non-grocery items ( like paper towels, toilet paper, tampons, diapers, etc ).

Is this possible to live off of?

We are a family of 3....2 adults (one with dietary restrictions - basically all he can eat is meat and veggies ) and my 3 year old son.

Any tips or ideas? ( we already use coupons ).

Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Exactly. No Starches what so ever and low sodium & sugar.

Quoting delanna6two:

so no pasta/rice

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting delanna6two:

one pot dishes
soup or goulash
pasta mixed with veggies and meat
casseroles - add in meat and veggies
baked meats with a veggie
crockpot meals
rice (makes a lot) rice with veggie or meat
mashed potatoes with veggie or meat (shepherd's pie)

Out of that whole list...we are looking at just eating baked meat and veggie :(

CafeMom Tickers
ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM

No problem. If you want you can PM me anytime. I have gotten good at making my lists and shopping. Last week I spent $40 on a weeks worth of stuff and didn't use but a few in store coupons. 

Quoting Wish2Be:

I might need your help in November. :(

Quoting ashleymosq:

Oh I know the feeling lol. I went from spending whatever I wanted to going down to $70 and then down to $50. My DH's last job he got a ton of over time. This job he makes more, but no over time... 

Oh another thing that is really good to do is check the grocery stores that are in your area that you go to and find the sales at each. See which one has the best sales for what you are buying and go there to get your food. I actually am about to do my list for the week lol. 

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting ashleymosq:

I use $50 for the a week for a family of 4. It is me, DH, 5DD, 2DD. 

When you start your list, put down the non grocery stuff first. Then add on the regular stuff you get like eggs, milk, bacon, etc. Make a menu for the week. If you have some veggies already, make meals that go with them so that you have less you have to buy. After you make your meals go through and figure out what you need for each and make your list. When you go to the store make sure you pay attention to all the specials and sales. Just get what you need to make what you have. You may have to get the same thing again the next week, but when you are on a tight budget, you have to get what you need for what you are making. 

It is possible. It does take a little bit to get it down to where you know what to buy and everything, but it is easy after you get used to it.

We usually spend about $150 a week at the grocery store...so this is terrifying for us. Thank you !

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Oh also, I get my house hold stuff at a different store than at the grocery store. Most of the time it is cheaper at places like walmart than it is at the grocery store. Just go get the house hold stuff first then go to the grocery store. The grocery store I go to usually has meat on sale. They have chicken drumsticks for $1/lb this week. Also pork chops with the bones for $1.97/lb. I can make those a part of my list and plan meals around them.

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I have to watch sodium here too.  I just googled and came across this site...it's "no sugar - no flour"...maybe it would have some ideas you can use:  Here's the link:
http://recoveryfood.blogspot.com/

Quoting Wish2Be:

Exactly. No Starches what so ever and low sodium & sugar.

Quoting delanna6two:

so no pasta/rice

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting delanna6two:

one pot dishes
soup or goulash
pasta mixed with veggies and meat
casseroles - add in meat and veggies
baked meats with a veggie
crockpot meals
rice (makes a lot) rice with veggie or meat
mashed potatoes with veggie or meat (shepherd's pie)

Out of that whole list...we are looking at just eating baked meat and veggie :(

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM
I use the diva cup. It was 24.00 for the cup and 10.00 for the diva wash. I've been using it for over a year now. When work was really slow I bought 50.00 worth of groceries a week for my family of 8. Bought lots of suave shampoo. HUGS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I would love to see your list that you purchase for groceries.

Quoting ashleymosq:

I use $50 for the a week for a family of 4. It is me, DH, 5DD, 2DD. 

When you start your list, put down the non grocery stuff first. Then add on the regular stuff you get like eggs, milk, bacon, etc. Make a menu for the week. If you have some veggies already, make meals that go with them so that you have less you have to buy. After you make your meals go through and figure out what you need for each and make your list. When you go to the store make sure you pay attention to all the specials and sales. Just get what you need to make what you have. You may have to get the same thing again the next week, but when you are on a tight budget, you have to get what you need for what you are making. 

It is possible. It does take a little bit to get it down to where you know what to buy and everything, but it is easy after you get used to it.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I think it can be possible. It would be very tight though. Shop sales, use coupons, price match, cook from scratch as much as possible, check the dollar store for items, ect

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I can do $200 for 5 (I have 2 teenagers too) plus 3 day care kids.  So yes I say that will do.  If you are doing coupons you can get off with buying very little HBA items so that helps a ton.  Research cleaning with vinegar if you don't already.  That eliminates all cleaning products.

I had to edit this.  I put the wrong number!

fraujones
by Amanda on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Here's a bump. I don't know how to pull that off! 

ambermario4ever
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Maybe but I don't see how. We are a family of four and I spend between $100-$150 each week.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)