Group Home

Okay ladies...I have a very serious question.

My available funds per week will range from $50-$75 a week for grocery and non-grocery items ( like paper towels, toilet paper, tampons, diapers, etc ).

Is this possible to live off of?

We are a family of 3....2 adults (one with dietary restrictions - basically all he can eat is meat and veggies ) and my 3 year old son.

Any tips or ideas? ( we already use coupons ).

Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Get copies of all the local weekly ads.  See who has what on sale and if you have coupons.  Plan your weekly shopping trip with a list of which stores have the better prices on things you need.  If you have freezer space you can stock up on frozen veggies when they are cheap or you can stock up on canned veggies when they are cheap.   For fresh fruits, buy things in season.  

We try to live off $200 per month for groceries.  Right now it's just the 3 of us but I am pregnant so meal planning is a little harder because there are things I won't eat because they bother my stomach.  

If you find a really good deal then get a few of the item and freeze the extras.Pay attention to stores having meat sales so you can check out their deals. 

fullxbusymom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM
For us no way in Hell but we are also a family of 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

on the meat...did you know that meat freezes well?  Transfer it to containers or baggies (yes I know that baggies are an extra expense but to me it's way worth it) and it can last 6-12 months.  So this week there's a .99/lb pork chop and pot roast sale.  I will buy whatever they let me and then I'll go back and buy more lol.  Chicken breast goes 1.79-1.99/lb every 3 months or so.  When it does I drop about $30 on chicken.  Also you can get whole chickens and cook them in the croc pot all day, saving the broth (on low sodium alternative to stroe broths and it freezes!) and freezing the cooked me for casseroles or chicken sandwhiches.

ambermario4ever
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Also I see you have a dog. If you are having a hard time feeding your family then maybe you should give or well the dog or any other pets you have to someone else to help save money.
Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

No need to buy cleaning supplies.  Everything can be cleaned with vinegar, water, and baking soda.  Much less expensive than buying cleaning supplies.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Quoting ashleymosq:

Oh also, I get my house hold stuff at a different store than at the grocery store. Most of the time it is cheaper at places like walmart than it is at the grocery store. Just go get the house hold stuff first then go to the grocery store. The grocery store I go to usually has meat on sale. They have chicken drumsticks for $1/lb this week. Also pork chops with the bones for $1.97/lb. I can make those a part of my list and plan meals around them.

We do most of our shopping at the super walmart...groceries and everything :)

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Also I see you have a dog. If you are having a hard time feeding your family then maybe you should give or well the dog or any other pets you have to someone else to help save money.

I have been trying to give them to a good home for 3 years. Trust me.

CafeMom Tickers
Gabbysmom615
by Kira on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM

yes coupons u already know, sales! dollar tree! clearance check all of that

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting ashleymosq:

Oh also, I get my house hold stuff at a different store than at the grocery store. Most of the time it is cheaper at places like walmart than it is at the grocery store. Just go get the house hold stuff first then go to the grocery store. The grocery store I go to usually has meat on sale. They have chicken drumsticks for $1/lb this week. Also pork chops with the bones for $1.97/lb. I can make those a part of my list and plan meals around them.

We do most of our shopping at the super walmart...groceries and everything :)

Do you not have a grocery store near by?  You can price match but don't cut the grocery out without trying it.  Check if they double coupons.  Like today I bought Greek yogurt.  It was $1 a piece on sale.  I had a coupon for .50 off 2.  That coupon doubled making the yogurt .50 a piece.  If I'd price matched that same thing at WM, I'd have paid .75

keeckhardt
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM
I would still make rice, pasta and beans. Everyone but your hubby can eat them and your money would go farther.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. amyjane22
  2. ceciliam
  3. childofgod04
  4. suziejax
  5. mrswillie
  6. SweetLuci