Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay ladies...I have a very serious question.

My available funds per week will range from $50-$75 a week for grocery and non-grocery items ( like paper towels, toilet paper, tampons, diapers, etc ).

Is this possible to live off of?

We are a family of 3....2 adults (one with dietary restrictions - basically all he can eat is meat and veggies ) and my 3 year old son.

Any tips or ideas? ( we already use coupons ).

Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
Rushn311
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM

No help. GL hun!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Good ideas!!

Quoting ashleymosq:

I use $50 for the a week for a family of 4. It is me, DH, 5DD, 2DD. 

When you start your list, put down the non grocery stuff first. Then add on the regular stuff you get like eggs, milk, bacon, etc. Make a menu for the week. If you have some veggies already, make meals that go with them so that you have less you have to buy. After you make your meals go through and figure out what you need for each and make your list. When you go to the store make sure you pay attention to all the specials and sales. Just get what you need to make what you have. You may have to get the same thing again the next week, but when you are on a tight budget, you have to get what you need for what you are making. 

It is possible. It does take a little bit to get it down to where you know what to buy and everything, but it is easy after you get used to it.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Quoting keeckhardt:

I would still make rice, pasta and beans. Everyone but your hubby can eat them and your money would go farther.

I agree.

aubsmom09
by Erin on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Do you have a local co-op near you?  I get 2 big baskets of fruits and veggies for $15/week.  I meal plan around what I get and that easily cuts the cost of our grocery bill. 

As some have already mentioned price match at one store so you aren't wasting gas driving around to get deals. 

Sophie4910
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM
I agree with making a dinner list and only getting what you need. Cutting out things that are convenient not needed. Like paper towels and junk food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Stock up when its b1g1f and you have coupons for it.Shop at the dollar tree for soaps,shampoo etc.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Keeping an eye on this post because I may find myself in your shoes when my FIL is no longer with us.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

maxswolfsuit
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM

That would be really tough for me. 

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I couldn't do it, no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

yes-you can do this. coupon and agree use dishrags to wash dishes then wash them and same with cleaning use cloth rags

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN