Smarter Style: Makeup Help!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

Perplexing is sometimes a word that pops into mind when staring at those little bottles and tools and canisters in the make-up aisle. I've been a tad confused at times...which is why I like this question.

With three kids under four years old, I haven't really been paying attention to my make-up bag. I think I still have things in there from 2004. Not that I wear a lot, I do a little when I have time or on the rare occasion we go out to dinner without the kids. But, my skin tone has changed and I need to cover up circles due to lack of sleep. Can you help me with some basic make-up hints and tips to start getting back in the groove? 

This question got me looking at my own make-up bag. I am not one to wear a lot of make-up, but do a little bit in the mornings, a little more for a special occasion. But when was the last time I replaced that mascara...and when should we? I have not a clue.

Here's the low down on the shelf life of make-up according to Real Beauty website: mascara - three to six months; blush - six to nine months; foundation and concealers - six months; lip gloss/lipstick - 18 to 24 months, but if it starts to change color or smell wonky, trash it.

Now, how to get back into the groove is another matter. You can make a big impact with not much effort if you have the right tools. The main thing to focus on are your eyes -- get a great eyelash curler and pair of tweezers. Keeping your eyebrows in check is an easy way to look more put together, and every morning, a quick curl of those lashes can make your whole face seem brighter, more "awake" looking. Add a swipe of mascara and a quick run of a basic lip gloss (even Chapstick) over your lips and you are done. You look pulled together and fresh in a matter of minutes.

Another hints the pros say, to demystify the whole buying make-up bit: go a shade or two darker than your tone. This highlights your natural beauty without going full throttle. So, when shopping, opt for a darker, neutral beige-y taupe eyeshadow instead of a color, or a lip gloss with a tint in a shade darker than your lips rather than a tube of dark red. Again, easy and quick way to boost what you already have going on. Check out this slideshow over at Real Simple for some easy makeup hints.

Do you wear make-up? When was the last time you bought -- or threw away -- items in your make-up bag? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ WEKWEK          

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AstuteMama
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I don't wear make-up. My mom and I use to get into fights because she wanted to wear make-up to special events, and I thought and still do that I didn't need to wear make-up because I have a face that is beautiful without make-up. I also feel putting make-up on is a waste of my time.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:26 AM
I haven't been in a groove since my 3rd ds was born ... I'm not sure how this 4th will effect it ..lol !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi! I used to be in cosmetics and have managed accounts for leading companies. I can help:) any powders you have, you do not have to throw away usually. But if your liquid foundations/mascara/lip glosses or anything else will be contaminated with bacteria after 6 months. Mascara after 3 or when it gets a smell. The foundation will usually break you out and the mascara can give you eye infections. No matter what the brand it (drugstore/dept store) these are my staples to a 5 minute SAHM makeover in the mornings. Foundation w/ foundation brush (cheap or not just keep it clean). It will help with the bacteria issue. Concealer under and over eyes, around nose. On the eye lid it acts as a base for eye shadow. Bronzer, blush, neautral shadow, mascara, neutral lip liner, and favorite chapstick. Then you can darken it up with contouring eye shadow, eyeliner, and a darker lip liner for a date or event. Hope I helped:) I always do this to make me feel pretty for the day even though it's nothing compared to what I did in my past before work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:13 AM
I do wear makeup almost daily to hide the tired eyes, i buy new stuff when i have coupons or find a great sale, i probably dont replace it often enough but i usually use some of my bday money each year to replace some of it. I actually just bought all new eye shadows and mascara last week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I wear just a little bit of makeup. I wear foundation, lipstick, and blush. I just recently bought makeup too.

TB78
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:30 AM
If I have the time I would wear makeup but with my little patches of psoriasis foundation looks terrible on me so I hardly use it, I use lipgloss, skip mascara because I wear glasses and when I used to wear mascara my glasses would have little black dots on them so I figure my lashes are thick and long without it, and either blush or eyeshadow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mereinhart28
by Michelle on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I generally only wear mascara and chapstick. 

I have a few other things, but I never wear them, probably time to toss it all! lol

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I wear eye liner and lipstick or gloss usually. I buy make up whenever I see a color I like or to replace what the girls took.. That's 1 downfall to having SO MANY GIRLS....They take my make up, hair ties and starting on the clothes... 

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I bought eyeshadow about a year ago lol. I will wear that and eyeliner once in a while. Usually when my hubby and I go out.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Not anymore

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: