Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Makeup Help!

Posted by   + Show Post

Perplexing is sometimes a word that pops into mind when staring at those little bottles and tools and canisters in the make-up aisle. I've been a tad confused at times...which is why I like this question.

With three kids under four years old, I haven't really been paying attention to my make-up bag. I think I still have things in there from 2004. Not that I wear a lot, I do a little when I have time or on the rare occasion we go out to dinner without the kids. But, my skin tone has changed and I need to cover up circles due to lack of sleep. Can you help me with some basic make-up hints and tips to start getting back in the groove? 

This question got me looking at my own make-up bag. I am not one to wear a lot of make-up, but do a little bit in the mornings, a little more for a special occasion. But when was the last time I replaced that mascara...and when should we? I have not a clue.

Here's the low down on the shelf life of make-up according to Real Beauty website: mascara - three to six months; blush - six to nine months; foundation and concealers - six months; lip gloss/lipstick - 18 to 24 months, but if it starts to change color or smell wonky, trash it.

Now, how to get back into the groove is another matter. You can make a big impact with not much effort if you have the right tools. The main thing to focus on are your eyes -- get a great eyelash curler and pair of tweezers. Keeping your eyebrows in check is an easy way to look more put together, and every morning, a quick curl of those lashes can make your whole face seem brighter, more "awake" looking. Add a swipe of mascara and a quick run of a basic lip gloss (even Chapstick) over your lips and you are done. You look pulled together and fresh in a matter of minutes.

Another hints the pros say, to demystify the whole buying make-up bit: go a shade or two darker than your tone. This highlights your natural beauty without going full throttle. So, when shopping, opt for a darker, neutral beige-y taupe eyeshadow instead of a color, or a lip gloss with a tint in a shade darker than your lips rather than a tube of dark red. Again, easy and quick way to boost what you already have going on. Check out this slideshow over at Real Simple for some easy makeup hints.

Do you wear make-up? When was the last time you bought -- or threw away -- items in your make-up bag? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ WEKWEK          

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-39):
slw123
by Shawna on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I don't wear much, just some eyeliner and mascara.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM
I don't if I do just eye liner
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I don't wear it ofter. Eyeliner & mascara are my go tos

pixiemg1
by Amy on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I wear makeup everyday and buy it quite often.  The only thing I throw away on a regular basis is mascara. The rest of the shelf life requirements I do not abide by.  As long as the color payoff is good and it does not look or smell I keep it and continue to use it.  

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I throw them away when they're out.  I only buy one thing of eyeshadown, one thing of mascara, one eyeliner pencil and that's it.  When it runs out, I get a new one!

sweetpea1269
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM
It is time for new
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Holy cow with 3 kids under 4 I could understand not wearing makeup. But yes I wear almost daily..yea daily, but I ENJOY wearing makeup, its not a chore so I don't feel like I have to I like to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Oh and I buy makeup every week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ethans_momma06
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I dont really wear much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)