Smarter Style: Makeup Help!

Posted by   + Show Post

Perplexing is sometimes a word that pops into mind when staring at those little bottles and tools and canisters in the make-up aisle. I've been a tad confused at times...which is why I like this question.

With three kids under four years old, I haven't really been paying attention to my make-up bag. I think I still have things in there from 2004. Not that I wear a lot, I do a little when I have time or on the rare occasion we go out to dinner without the kids. But, my skin tone has changed and I need to cover up circles due to lack of sleep. Can you help me with some basic make-up hints and tips to start getting back in the groove? 

This question got me looking at my own make-up bag. I am not one to wear a lot of make-up, but do a little bit in the mornings, a little more for a special occasion. But when was the last time I replaced that mascara...and when should we? I have not a clue.

Here's the low down on the shelf life of make-up according to Real Beauty website: mascara - three to six months; blush - six to nine months; foundation and concealers - six months; lip gloss/lipstick - 18 to 24 months, but if it starts to change color or smell wonky, trash it.

Now, how to get back into the groove is another matter. You can make a big impact with not much effort if you have the right tools. The main thing to focus on are your eyes -- get a great eyelash curler and pair of tweezers. Keeping your eyebrows in check is an easy way to look more put together, and every morning, a quick curl of those lashes can make your whole face seem brighter, more "awake" looking. Add a swipe of mascara and a quick run of a basic lip gloss (even Chapstick) over your lips and you are done. You look pulled together and fresh in a matter of minutes.

Another hints the pros say, to demystify the whole buying make-up bit: go a shade or two darker than your tone. This highlights your natural beauty without going full throttle. So, when shopping, opt for a darker, neutral beige-y taupe eyeshadow instead of a color, or a lip gloss with a tint in a shade darker than your lips rather than a tube of dark red. Again, easy and quick way to boost what you already have going on. Check out this slideshow over at Real Simple for some easy makeup hints.

Do you wear make-up? When was the last time you bought -- or threw away -- items in your make-up bag? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ WEKWEK          

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM
I don't wear makeup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I love wearing make up,
Wish I was better at putting it on ::blush::
I recently bought some a few weeks ago :)

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

sometimes I got some last month

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Don't really wear it now....I think it's pretty though and have worn it in the past..

momma-flynn
by Greta on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM
I do the full de every day. I have very uneven skin tone & am so used to wearing makeup that I don't feel right without it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I don't wear makeup now that I'm home all the time. I did when I was working, or I wear it when I go out.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I need to throw out some old stuff and replace it.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM
I do wear makeup! Bht haven't threw away anything recently. I clean my brushes or throw them out when need be!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

i maybe wear it 3-4 times a year. I have stuff thats probably 10 years old but none of it smells or has changed colors

bether89
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I don't wear make-up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: