Group Home

Smarter Living: What I Wish Would Come Back

Posted by   + Show Post

Kiddo has a new favorite TV show - The Electric Company. Now, I remember when I watched the original version of the show back in the 70s. This new Electric Company 2.0 is great, hip, cool and still educational. Watching it with my daughter has made me think of things that had gone away...and what I would want to come back.

Sure, favorite TV shows come to mind the quickest, but there are other things - and feelings - that create a pang of nostalgia in my geneckteckessoink. Just for fun, I made a list: 

-- The West Wing

-- MASH

-- Regular-sized muffins (all you can find these days is the mini muffins or those behemoth ones...I just want regular, not too small, not too big ones.)

-- 100% cotton panties and lounge pants (everything seems to be made with spandex -- what happened to 100% cotton ones? Yes, they are out there, but hard to find.)

-- The Love Boat

-- The thrill of staying up late to watch The Love Boat (you know, when you were 10 and it was a Saturday night and you got to stay up late...didn't happen every Saturday, but a few here and there, on the couch, feeling like you are a grown-up...that feeling)

-- Signet rings (don't really know why, but I dig them, especially if they can be used to seal envelopes...kinda cool)

-- Charlie Brown specials with the Dolly Madison commercials (I love all of them: The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, the Christmas special...but they just aren't the same with new commercials. I loved those. Check out a blast from the past on You Tube. Zingers!)

-- The excitement of starting a new Harry Potter book (yes, I am a Potterhead, and when I would break open the latest installment, well, let's just say excited was an understatement).

Now, of course, there are many new things in my life that provide just as amazing a feelings as these did...like when Kiddo comes up with an amazing observation or snuggling with her on Saturday mornings or trading funny texts with my husband, knowing that I made him giggle at work. But, it's nice to remember those things from past years with fondness. 

What do you wish would come back? What do you remember with fondness?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Marekuliasz   

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Saturday morning cartoons.  Most of them were decent and every station had them.

News seasons of shows starting the same week in September every year.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

jumpin' jack doritos :)

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM

remember when they used to show ALL of the old Rankin/Bass stop motion Christmas specials? Now when they do show them on tv the cut them down for more commercials, usually cutting songs :(

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I'm sitting at my computer, in my childhood home (where my kid's and I are residing) and I'm watching "Soul Train".  I use to watch this show when I was young, dancing to my favorite tunes, and it would come on, at 12pm, on Saturdays, right after my morning dose of "Looney Tunes","Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids","Tom and Jerry", etc.

I wish I can bring back the good old days, when we use to have family gatherings around the holiday season. 

VisionSeeker
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Saturday am cartoons like the ones we had growing up!

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM

dinosaurs

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM

The love boat!

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM

wizard of oz barbie dolls,facts of life tv show

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Magnolia Blossom and Honeysuckle back at Bath & Body Works

wandep
by Pam on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM
I have so many I couldn't name them all. I enjoyed watching the love boat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci