Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: What I Wish Would Come Back

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 59 Replies

Kiddo has a new favorite TV show - The Electric Company. Now, I remember when I watched the original version of the show back in the 70s. This new Electric Company 2.0 is great, hip, cool and still educational. Watching it with my daughter has made me think of things that had gone away...and what I would want to come back.

Sure, favorite TV shows come to mind the quickest, but there are other things - and feelings - that create a pang of nostalgia in my geneckteckessoink. Just for fun, I made a list: 

-- The West Wing

-- MASH

-- Regular-sized muffins (all you can find these days is the mini muffins or those behemoth ones...I just want regular, not too small, not too big ones.)

-- 100% cotton panties and lounge pants (everything seems to be made with spandex -- what happened to 100% cotton ones? Yes, they are out there, but hard to find.)

-- The Love Boat

-- The thrill of staying up late to watch The Love Boat (you know, when you were 10 and it was a Saturday night and you got to stay up late...didn't happen every Saturday, but a few here and there, on the couch, feeling like you are a grown-up...that feeling)

-- Signet rings (don't really know why, but I dig them, especially if they can be used to seal envelopes...kinda cool)

-- Charlie Brown specials with the Dolly Madison commercials (I love all of them: The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, the Christmas special...but they just aren't the same with new commercials. I loved those. Check out a blast from the past on You Tube. Zingers!)

-- The excitement of starting a new Harry Potter book (yes, I am a Potterhead, and when I would break open the latest installment, well, let's just say excited was an understatement).

Now, of course, there are many new things in my life that provide just as amazing a feelings as these did...like when Kiddo comes up with an amazing observation or snuggling with her on Saturday mornings or trading funny texts with my husband, knowing that I made him giggle at work. But, it's nice to remember those things from past years with fondness. 

What do you wish would come back? What do you remember with fondness?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Marekuliasz   

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SammiBaby
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM

The excitement of starting a new Harry Potter book is one if not the biggest one for me.

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM
2 moms liked this
I used to love Full House, Family Matters, Saved By The Bell....all those old shows!
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Loved many of those old shows .. those were the days :)

baquick
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Friday nights on abc! TGIF! Boy meets world and clarissa!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AstuteMama
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish they would bring Punky Brewster.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Saturday morning cartoons like before. Also those after school specials that taught a lesson.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Oh wow it is so many.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Good Music.

TB78
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:56 AM
I loved The Cosby Show, All in the Family, Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Carol Burnett Show, The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Pop Up Video, The Facts of Life, and other TV shows from those eras :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:05 AM

WOnderful World of Disney

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)