Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Homemade, Grownup Halloween Costumes

Posted by   + Show Post

If you have a small kid or two in your house, I'll bet a sizable number of your conversations for the last few months have revolved around Halloween costumes. But why let your kids have all the fun? It's not too hard to whip up a fun, creative costume for yourself.

Martha Stewart, of course, has some amazing ideas. My favorite is the Manhattan Skyline, which would be super easy to create if you can draw, and can be easily adaptable to your own town. I bet you can even print out photos and cut out around them to remove the need for mad artistic skills. The tulle ghost is also super cool and pretty.

Esquire has some guy-friendly costumes, which would be pretty easy to put together with a thrift store trip...Indiana Jones? Yes please.

And The Daily Green has some nice costumes you can repurpose household items to create. I love the Pac-Man one...you could even add a bow and go with your guy as Ms. Pac-Man!

Do you make your own costumes? And what's your best one ever?

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I've made a lot of costumes over the years. Probably the best were a  Mermaid, and a shark for the kids, and costumes for DH & I to go to a Medieval wedding, very elaborate, that we also wore at Halloween.

maxswolfsuit
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

eew!

maxswolfsuit
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I love this one!

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Have made in times past and maybe had one or 2 bought ones growing up...

daerca574
by Danya on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

when DD was little we were the packages of m and m's and she was a red m and m

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM

We prefer to make our own costumes. We usually just dig through our closet until we find something that works for whatever idea we have.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Again ... I've been so behind this month we haven't even talked about costumes :( .. and time is getting short !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

DH and I were Wayne and Garth...  We've done that one twice.  I had long, blonde hair at the time, so I was Garth.  He got a wig and he was Wayne.  I had to cut holes in old jeans and we hunted for band t-shirts at Goodwill and such.  It was great.

I don't think I have a picture on this computer.  I think it's on our external hard drive.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I do not wear customs. I have made my childs before. He wanted to be dddy one year and I could not find a army uniforms (we were not at a base yet DH and just joined) so I went to the sewing machine and whipped one up. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM

i have never worn a halloween costume

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN