Student suspended after dying hair pink for breast cancer awareness

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:31 AM
  • 31 Replies

What do you think? Should an exception have been made? 

Denise and Rheanne Sargent.  (Source: WYFF)
BELTON, SC (WYFF) -
An Upstate mother says her daughter was punished at school because of the color of her hair.

Denise Sargent says she and her daughter, Rheanne, dyed parts of their hair pink to support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and to honor those who have fought the disease.

"The fact that I'd be representing my mother and my grandmother, my other grandmother and whoever else my mom knows who had it," Rheanne said.

But, according to Sargent, that didn't go over well with Belton Middle School.

The daughter, Rheanne, says the assistant principal told her she could go home or go to ISS because she was breaking the rules.

Belton Middle School's dress code policy does say non-human hair color will not be permitted.

"I do believe if the child wants to be an individual and show that they're supporting something that's killing thousands of women, I believe, yeah, they should make an exception. They should change the rule," Denise Sargent said.

Rheanne said she tried calling her mom, but didn't get in touch with her, so she spent the day in in-school suspension.

The school and the district have not returned calls on the matter.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aislinn
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM
5 moms liked this

Ok, I see the point. I love the sentiment. However, she broke the rules. So, the story is a moot point, to me. Get a t shirt. Buy some pink sneakers. You do not have to break policy to support a cause.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I agree 100%!

Quoting Aislinn:

Ok, I see the point. I love the sentiment. However, she broke the rules. So, the story is a moot point, to me. Get a t shirt. Buy some pink sneakers. You do not have to break policy to support a cause.

3gr8tKids
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM
She broke the schools dress code policy. Period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Ia gree.Her heart was in the right place but rules are rules

sweetpea1269
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Yup, I agree.

Quoting Aislinn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
keeckhardt
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM
She knew the rules before she did it (if she read the handbook). What did she expect? Make something else pink that is allowed would get the message across.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
She broke the rules. Where a pink shirt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Dresd code is what it is and they need to abide by that. Or go to a different school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

she broke the rules..There are other ways of showing support w/o breaking the rules.

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Agreed. Rules are rules. There are other ways to sport pink.

Quoting Aislinn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: