Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Student suspended after dying hair pink for breast cancer awareness

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you think? Should an exception have been made? 

Denise and Rheanne Sargent.  (Source: WYFF)
BELTON, SC (WYFF) -
An Upstate mother says her daughter was punished at school because of the color of her hair.

Denise Sargent says she and her daughter, Rheanne, dyed parts of their hair pink to support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and to honor those who have fought the disease.

"The fact that I'd be representing my mother and my grandmother, my other grandmother and whoever else my mom knows who had it," Rheanne said.

But, according to Sargent, that didn't go over well with Belton Middle School.

The daughter, Rheanne, says the assistant principal told her she could go home or go to ISS because she was breaking the rules.

Belton Middle School's dress code policy does say non-human hair color will not be permitted.

"I do believe if the child wants to be an individual and show that they're supporting something that's killing thousands of women, I believe, yeah, they should make an exception. They should change the rule," Denise Sargent said.

Rheanne said she tried calling her mom, but didn't get in touch with her, so she spent the day in in-school suspension.

The school and the district have not returned calls on the matter.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Agreed.

Quoting Aislinn:

Ok, I see the point. I love the sentiment. However, she broke the rules. So, the story is a moot point, to me. Get a t shirt. Buy some pink sneakers. You do not have to break policy to support a cause.

bizzyx4
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Stories like this bug me. She knew the rules, yet she broke them and now there is a news article for it that could go to something actually important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UxorQuodMatris.
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM
I have to agree.

Quoting Aislinn:

Ok, I see the point. I love the sentiment. However, she broke the rules. So, the story is a moot point, to me. Get a t shirt. Buy some pink sneakers. You do not have to break policy to support a cause.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-42-
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM
She could have just bought pink clip ins for her kid and this wouldn't have happened in the first place.

I'm sure they were aware of the rules. They can't bend them to suit everyone's agenda, or they're pointless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-42-
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Wait.....'and whoever else my mom knows who had it'.

Hmm....wonder whose idea it was?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

well those are the school rules...she could have worn a shirt or something to represent cancer, JMO

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM
She knew what the outcome would be when she chose to break dress code... Why should this be an exception? Lots of better ways to honor grandma that don't break school rules. No sympathy here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Good point.

Quoting -42-:

Wait.....'and whoever else my mom knows who had it'.

Hmm....wonder whose idea it was?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM

No. Sorry but rules are rules.

SparklingHope
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I get what she was trying to do, but then she should've wore clothing item for that if they are not a uniformed school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)