Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training/interest?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 11 Replies
When do kids or should kids start showing intrest in potty training or be potty trained by? I know all kids are at different pace but im just wondering whats the oldest.

Posted in another group but got ne responses.
Tia :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slw123
by Shawna on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I find that some kids don't necessarily show interest on their own, they have to be led.  Both of my kids were led to potty train.  My daughter was 2 years 2 months and my son was 2 years 6 months.   If I had waited for them to show interest they probably still wouldn't be potty trained.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM

They do give you signals.  Control is a big one.  Waking up from naps and in the morning dry.  Interest is also a big one.  If they are screaming at the sight of a potty chair or bucking you when they are on the potty then that's a no go.  My kids were both 2 1/2.  It was like a switch with them, once we went for it they were all in.  I have a girl and boy too so, don't let the stigma that one is easier or worse bother you.  Every kid is different and good luck!!

holmes212
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM
My dd is 2 1/2 3 in april an she says she wants to go potty but once shes on she instantly wants off and throws a fit and thats once in a great while. And she knows when shed pooping but starts in her diaper and then tells me shes pooping and if i try to sit her on potty she throws a fit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM
We got dd her potty around one, she sat w me by her choice everytime i went to the bathroom, always with her clothes on. About three wks ago she randomly asked to go potty and has been using it since. She will be two on the 23rd.

I did let her go naked bum for the first few days while we were home so she could get used to the sensation of having to go and running to the potty, i found even with panties on she would have accidents, now she does really well, i still have messes to clean up if she drinks alot and doesnt get to the toilet fast enough (usually bc she is sidetracked by a toy) but overall she has done very well

Ive heard the average age is three but sometimes older, and not to expect dry nights until early school aged years.

I will say wait until there is interest, otherwise you will be cleaning up alot of accidents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommythree0508
by Corinne on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM
My oldest was totally done by two. My twins are almost four and still working on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzyx4
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Most kids will show signs. In my experience if you try to gently nudge them that direction and they aren't ready it will only further delay. My oldest was almost 4!!! It was awful. My second was almost 2 1/2 and my daughter was 2 and a few months. We didn't push either of them and they did it quickly and we were done in about 6 days with each of them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SammiBaby
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Some kids do not show interest on their own at all. My oldest didn't really it was more of me just doing it, he was done by 3. My youngest, however, is VERY interested at 2 and I'm hoping his interest keeps up and we can get potty training out of the way.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM

my son was about 2 when he should intersts but was almost 3when he was fully trained.. yes that was a long time but he had surgery on his testicales when he was 2 1/2.. and that was  major set back

Kainalu55
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM

my daughter just turned 2, we're trying with her.  my older daughter was trained before turning 2

Bradensmommy719
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM
We bought a potty at 18months. He showed.no interstate. Then in a few months he was showing interstate he was fully trained a month after his 3rd bday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN