Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They say it's socialization...

Posted by   + Show Post
I have one kiddo who homeschools and one kiddo who goes to public school...i am ALWAYS told that my kiddo who is homeschooled will be socially awkward...but here i sit at the pool and my home schooled kiddo is playing with a group of kiddos that he met on his own and my public school kiddo is playing by himself and he keeps coming to me saying he wants to go home he's not having any fun...smh...

So are my kiddos just weirdos (which i think they are weirdos), or are people just stereotyping home schooled kiddos...what's your opinion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
robynlo77
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Exactly!

Quoting SassyWildflower:

I don't think kids need school to have social skills (& I don't home school!!) I think that's a load of bull honestly. lOl..

I think it depends on the kid. Some kids are shy & keep to themselves no matter where they are. 

jpalmer
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Lol...yeah my youngest (home school) plays basketball, baseball, soccer, and we are THINKING (probably not going to...just worrie to much) about football...lol...my middle son (public school) is into photography, poetry, and art...we are constantly doing something!!! Plus we do alot of swimming and museums...lol

Quoting fraujones:

Well, I was homeschooled from 6th-12th and very sheltered. I have struggled with shyness, confusion about what to do in certain social situations and an extreme fear of public speaking. Maybe I would have still had these issues if I were in public school, but homeschooling certainly didn't help me.

But you sound like you are letting your homeschooled kid get a lot of socialization which is great!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jpalmer
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
I agree...i thought my kiddos were just weirdos...lol...but glad to know they are just...well...weird...hahahahahahahaha!!!

By the way I LOVE YOUR AVI!!! Okay now that i got that out...lol

Quoting brownhoney21:

Stereotyping and saying what thy have heard others say.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chellie13
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course it's a stereotype.  I homeschooled for 4 years and we...meaning all of us...had more friends than ever before and went to so many places and coops etc. 

My kids are back in school and they don't WANT to be friends with the kids, because they say they are immature and rude. 

As if grouping kids of the same age and keeping them all together for 6 - 8 hours in the "school" setting is "socialization"???    I remember getting yelled at by teachers when I was in school , they would yell at us saying "Stop talking! You're not HERE for SOCIALIZATION!!"  LOL!! Explain THAT all you homeschool haters out there!   lol...

dusky_rose
by Sue on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I think its stereotyping. My oldest dd is very shy (and was home schooled) and my youngest son is very outgoing (he makes friends where ever he goes).

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Oh wow, well that makes sense.  Your youngest, he's doing ok?

Quoting jpalmer:

My youngest has I.D.D (immune deficiency disorder) and a blood disorder...his immune system is about like someone that's on chemo...my youngest is on several diffrent immune booster suplements...it's a mess...

My middle is fine and is as healthy as a horse...lol

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I think it just depends on the kid.  Out of curiousity, why is one home schooled and one not?

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

people are stereotyping

I get it all the time and I home school

jpalmer
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Yeah he's doing great this year...he has only been sick a handful of times...i think he has had ten sick days so far...but because he is home schooled he can still do school work, even when he is still feeling kinda yucky...

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

Oh wow, well that makes sense.  Your youngest, he's doing ok?

Quoting jpalmer:

My youngest has I.D.D (immune deficiency disorder) and a blood disorder...his immune system is about like someone that's on chemo...my youngest is on several diffrent immune booster suplements...it's a mess...

My middle is fine and is as healthy as a horse...lol

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I think it just depends on the kid.  Out of curiousity, why is one home schooled and one not?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle :) on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I think it has to do with the kids. My 5yo will come to me all upset and say "nobody wants to play with me!" while my 3yo comes to me all upset and says "Sophie (neighbor girl) wants to PLAY with me and I don't want her to!"

jpalmer
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Everytime i see your screen name and avi it just makes me smile :o) How have you been? How's the kiddos? If you don't mind me asking what curricula did you use? We are using Christian Light Publication...and we LOVE it...

Quoting dusky_rose:

I think its stereotyping. My oldest dd is very shy (and was home schooled) and my youngest son is very outgoing (he makes friends where ever he goes).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN