Group Home

They say it's socialization...

Posted by   + Show Post
I have one kiddo who homeschools and one kiddo who goes to public school...i am ALWAYS told that my kiddo who is homeschooled will be socially awkward...but here i sit at the pool and my home schooled kiddo is playing with a group of kiddos that he met on his own and my public school kiddo is playing by himself and he keeps coming to me saying he wants to go home he's not having any fun...smh...

So are my kiddos just weirdos (which i think they are weirdos), or are people just stereotyping home schooled kiddos...what's your opinion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Replies (41-50):
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM
They're 21, 19, 18, and 16...something tells me they won't grow out of it.

The 21 year old won't get a job because he "needs to concentrate on college". No clue how he's going to manage having a job after school.

Quoting jpalmer:

Sorry they are that afraide of society...maybe they will grow out of it...your aunt needs to get them involved in something...

Quoting beadingmom17:

Lmao! Picture them as teenagers and you literally have the right picture!

Seriously...it's sad

Quoting jpalmer:

Is it bad that i just pictured little kids the size of roaches scattering...lol...sorry i am beyond tired...stupid swimming wore me out!!!

Quoting beadingmom17:

I think it depends on the parent and kid(s). My aunt-in-law homeschooled 4 out of her 6 boys. The 4 she homeschooled are BEYOND socially awkward...like, literally, they scatter like cockroaches when people come in the room and they won't sit and socialize with the rest of the family at gatherings.

They're the types that give homeschoolers a bad name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

no, I think not matter if they are home schooled or public schooled or private schooled, they are their own person and they do things their own way.

bizzyx4
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I don't think it has to do with where they get their schooling from.  It's just personalities.  The one who attends public school, has certain kids he sees each day, so therefore branching out to kids he doesn't hang out with on a daily basis is just harder and not something he is probably willing to do.  Your homeschooled child is most likely willing to play with anyone to have that child/child interaction.

I'm curious why one is homeschooled and one not...  :)

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM
I think it just depends on the child .. I have 3 boys and only one is social ..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Quoting jpalmer:

Hey mrswillie...haven't seen you in a while...how have you been???

I answerd angie a couple of replies above your first one...but for short my youngest is sick ALL the time...my middle is bealthy as a horse...lol

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I think it just depends on the kid.  Out of curiousity, why is one home schooled and one not?

I was wondering this also.

Oh, that makes sense. I've been good. Staying busy. How about you?

jpalmer
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I home school my youngest because his health is aweful...and my middle kiddo has great health...and you're probably right when you said "The one who attends public school, has certain kids he sees each day, so therefore branching out to kids he doesn't hang out with on a daily basis is just harder and not something he is probably willing to do. Your homeschooled child is most likely willing to play with anyone to have that child/child interaction." My youngest will talk to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen...but he has always been like that...my middle is more of a loner type, he has friends at school, but that's about it...lol

Quoting bizzyx4:

I don't think it has to do with where they get their schooling from.  It's just personalities.  The one who attends public school, has certain kids he sees each day, so therefore branching out to kids he doesn't hang out with on a daily basis is just harder and not something he is probably willing to do.  Your homeschooled child is most likely willing to play with anyone to have that child/child interaction.

I'm curious why one is homeschooled and one not...  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jpalmer
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:17 PM
I'm good...super busy this week...we are on fall break...lol...the boy's think that fall break means "do as much as you can durring the day, till you drop"...lol

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting jpalmer:

Hey mrswillie...haven't seen you in a while...how have you been???

I answerd angie a couple of replies above your first one...but for short my youngest is sick ALL the time...my middle is bealthy as a horse...lol

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I think it just depends on the kid.  Out of curiousity, why is one home schooled and one not?

I was wondering this also.

Oh, that makes sense. I've been good. Staying busy. How about you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:31 PM
In my case I think it does. I went to public for elementary. While I was never outgoing, I was in plays and performed solos in chorus. I also had a few friends.

My parents started homeschooling me in 6th grade. I became so isolated. I had no friends other than my siblings. I rarely spent time with kids my own age except at church. I couldn't imagine performing in front of people and enjoying it like I did as a little kid. I felt so different and awkward.

Like I said, my parents sheltered me a lot.

Quoting bmw29:

I went to PS & have an extreme fear of public speaking and some confusion about social situations. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Quoting fraujones:

Well, I was homeschooled from 6th-12th and very sheltered. I have struggled with shyness, confusion about what to do in certain social situations and an extreme fear of public speaking. Maybe I would have still had these issues if I were in public school, but homeschooling certainly didn't help me.

But you sound like you are letting your homeschooled kid get a lot of socialization which is great!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I really think it depends on personality.

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Yes your children are weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80