Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Caramel Apple Cake

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

Caramel Apple Cake

Shaped like a caramel apple, this fun dessert is sure to inspire oohing and ahhing at any fall gathering.
Cake
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Topping:
60 caramel candies
2 Tablespoons water
¾ cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
Waxed paper
1 large craft stick
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 1 ½ quart oven-safe bowls. (I used Pyrex) Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the remaining cake ingredients, then add this mixture to the dry ingredients and beat until well mixed. Pour the batter into the prepared bowls and bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the bowls for 10 minutes, then remove them from the bowls and set them inverted on wire racks to cool completely. Once they have cooled, turn over the cakes and use a long knife to even their flat tops. To make the topping, place the caramel candies and water in a medium bowl and microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir, then heat 30-45 seconds more until the mixture is smooth and forms a slow, thick ribbon when dropped from a spoon. Layer the cakes (flat sides together) using a few spoonfuls of the caramel to help hold them in place. Pour the remaining sauce over the cake. The caramel will run down the sides of the cake to cover it completely, or you can spread it with a knife while it’s still warm. Let the caramel set for about 20 minutes before pressing the walnuts onto the bottom half of the cake. Cover one half of the craft stick with waxed paper and insert the covered end into the top of the cake. Refrigerate or serve immediately. Serves 8.
Notes: I usually go by the doctor's office and ask for a tongue depressor to use as the stick-size-wise it looks better, but I didn't think of that in time, so I used 2 craft sticks. Make sure your caramel isn't too hot and runny when you put it on the cake or it will run all the way down to the plate, Try a spoonful first before doing the whole thing. It should just ooze down real slow. I didn't have 2 pyrex bowls exactly the same size and shape, so I used half the batter to bake one layer, put the remainder in the refrigerator, then when the first was baked and removed from the bowl, I baked the second.

by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slw123
by Shawna on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

What a cute idea (and delicious too).

crabbyD
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Shut the front door!!!!!!

I love this cake!!!!! Sounds yummy too!

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

This looks cute.

AstuteMama
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Very cute, and it looks very yummy!

turtle07
by Rhiannon on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Oh My Gawd!! I'm pregnant and my current craving is anything sugary! Lol The title of this post actually made my mouth water!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aubsmom09
by Erin on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Yum, that sounds so good.  TFS!

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM

cute idea

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM

cute.

i have a few amazing  carmel apple cake recipies but none made to look like one!

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Cute idea!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN