Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Proportions We All Need to Know

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies

As we prepare for a week (or two) of candy bombardment, of having to check how many treats our kids eat per day (or do you let them have one big day of candy fest and then that is that?), it got me thinking about balancing it out with "good" food. Which then got me thinking about how much good food is good for us...thank goodness this question came along!

Muncymama writer -- I'm trying to get our whole family better about serving size and food proportions, which is hard to do in this day and age of super-sized baskets of fries and mega muffins and cookies. I can't measure everything with a scale - any hints on how to know what is the right amount for us to eat?

Seriously, this is an essential one we all need to know about. How many times have you had an "individual" bag of potato chips only to look at the back of the bag and find out there were eight servings in that bag you just demolished? I know. It's tough, and it is even harder to do when you are trying to teach your kiddo how to "eyeball" the right portion. I'm not saying to put your kids on a diet, but looking at the proper nutrition chart and seeing we need three servings of protein a day, everyone should know how much and how big or small  the "serving" is.  Checked around and here's some handy ways to visualize a serving of items:

3 oz/1 serving of meat (chicken/fish/meat) = a deck of cards/the size of your palm

1/2 cup/one serving of pasta = tennis ball

2 tbsp of anything like peanut butter or butter = ping pong

1 cup of anything = about the size of your fist

1 ounce of cheese or spread = the size of your thumb

How do you know how much is the proper size of portions? Do you have tricks or hints to remember proportions?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ alexsl 

by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 29, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I've used these when dieting.

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 1:48 AM

TFS

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I learned about proportion sizes in Home Ec a little over 20years ago..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM

thanks! i just eyeball portions and make sure they are fist sized or smaller

fraujones
by Amanda on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Nice tricks. I can remember these. 

EbonySnow
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM

good info

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Oct. 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM

thanks!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

oh these are great tips

lillucky8
by Jen on Oct. 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Thanks! Ive been working on getting us eating better, my rule of thumb is half thr plate veggies, then 1/4 or less of whatever else i made
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mereinhart28
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM

thanks for sharing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN