Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: How to Eat Healthy on The Road

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

Part of our travels this holiday season will involve a 10-hour road trip. Yes, feeling my pain, eh? Whenever I hear "road trip," I think about all of the activities we will have to pack to keep us busy...and fed. But those snacks only go so far. Inevitably, we will stop to go potty (yeah, I say that still....I really need to switch to "go to the bathroom") and grab a bite to eat. As we all know, fast food is an easy choice, but one that is just sooooooooooo bad for us.

Sure, packing snacks and a cooler in the car is a-number-one way to try to eat better and "normal" when on the road, but here are some other ideas to be a little healthier as you travel. 

-- Drink water. This may seem counterproductive to driving as you will have to make a ton of stops, but being dehydrated is one of the big reasons we overeat or feel hungry when we aren't. Be sure to have bottles or thermoses of water for the whole family to avoid oversnacking and overeating. (This is a good thing to remember when flying too.)

-- When you can, try to stop at a regular restaurant, like a Denny's or Cracker Barrel. You can sit down with a larger menu that offers more variety of healthier options (and their restrooms are usually a little cleaner).

-- If you have to do choose a fast food place, opt for a Subway where you can make your own sandwich and avoid fried items. If that isn't possible, refrain from supersizing and select a grilled option if possible.

How do you eat on the road? What do you find yourself and your family eating? Do you try to keep it healthy?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Marek Uliasz 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:13 AM

This  is a hard one for me

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM
We eat chipotle. Black rice and brown beans yummy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:06 AM

This is a challenge. So many quick things that are so bad for you!

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:11 AM

At fast food, I stick with salads, and chicken that is broiled or grilled. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:05 AM
We do Subway, and we pack a cooler with sandwich stuff for the first day on the road.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I try to pack some healthy stuff..We avoid fast food places and eat at restaurants- I  make better food choices. I skip the manager's social hr at the hotel(you can gain a ton of weight drinking and snacking).

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM

We dont go out to eat

fraujones
by Amanda on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM

We need to improve in this area. We love driving through Dunkin :)

Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

We stop at Jimmy John's.  It's the only fast food sub place that has a gluten free option - the UNWICH!  I just wish they had more veggie options to put on the sandwich.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:31 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM

We do try but it is difficult,
Always the water helps though :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)