Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: How to Eat Healthy on The Road

Posted by   + Show Post

Part of our travels this holiday season will involve a 10-hour road trip. Yes, feeling my pain, eh? Whenever I hear "road trip," I think about all of the activities we will have to pack to keep us busy...and fed. But those snacks only go so far. Inevitably, we will stop to go potty (yeah, I say that still....I really need to switch to "go to the bathroom") and grab a bite to eat. As we all know, fast food is an easy choice, but one that is just sooooooooooo bad for us.

Sure, packing snacks and a cooler in the car is a-number-one way to try to eat better and "normal" when on the road, but here are some other ideas to be a little healthier as you travel. 

-- Drink water. This may seem counterproductive to driving as you will have to make a ton of stops, but being dehydrated is one of the big reasons we overeat or feel hungry when we aren't. Be sure to have bottles or thermoses of water for the whole family to avoid oversnacking and overeating. (This is a good thing to remember when flying too.)

-- When you can, try to stop at a regular restaurant, like a Denny's or Cracker Barrel. You can sit down with a larger menu that offers more variety of healthier options (and their restrooms are usually a little cleaner).

-- If you have to do choose a fast food place, opt for a Subway where you can make your own sandwich and avoid fried items. If that isn't possible, refrain from supersizing and select a grilled option if possible.

How do you eat on the road? What do you find yourself and your family eating? Do you try to keep it healthy?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Marek Uliasz 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-33):
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM

not too much of an issue for us since we don't travel.

Rain2Rinse
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Water, water, water!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle :) on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

We pack bread and sandwich fixings, and bring a lot of cut-up fruit for hydration and fewer potty stops. The applesauce in the foil bag with a cap is a great idea too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN